Big Cat in the Tropics

Derek McAllan

G'day all,

I've been naughty.  I promised myself I wasn't going to spend any more cash on FSX addons until next year as I'm saving pennies to build a new PC and buying some decent flight controls.  And yet, ever since getting FSX I've yearned for a pair of big radials.  Specifically, those attached to the Consolidated Catalina - hands down my favourite piece of aviation history.  These magnificently ungainly looking aircraft used to operate out of Perth in their civil role, with QANTAS flying passengers across the Indian Ocean to Sri Lanka - still the longest non-stop flight in the world at up to 32 hours.  There's one sitting in the RAAF Association's air museum just around the corner from my office, you can see some pics here.  I've always been fascinated by the design of this aircraft, and it's marriage of boat to plane, and I finally cracked and got myself the Aerosoft Catalina a week or so ago.  I also snapped up the Shockwave Lights addon after some of you recommending it to me, but that's for another post entirely  ;)

So, the Cat.  I'm very happy with this plane.  I know it's old news and some of you may have had this thing for years already, but I love the level of attention you have to pay when operating it, hell, even trying to start the thing takes practice and patience.  The interactive checklist is great, and the sounds are just magnificent... the satisfyingly deep throb of those big radials is amazing.  Pity I have to listen to it through headphones, but the Minister for War and Finance would castrate me not be happy if I cranked it up through my theatre speakers  ;D

Onto the flight.  Today's run is a fairly short hop from Hamilton Island down to Mackay, taking in some of the spectacular AU green coastal scenery.  It's a clear early summer morning with a light northerly breeze making for an easy run-up on the water.

Posted Image

Engines fired up and preflight complete, taxiing out from the harbour for takeoff

Posted Image

Full throttle and running up smoothly.  Planing nicely and keeping those wing floats up out of the drink as we accelerate past the north end of Dent island.

Posted Image

And we're up!  Having made a slow climbing turn around Dent Island, the course is set at 190 for the mainland coast, before turning 145 for the trip down to Mackay.  It's only about 50 miles so we'll only climb to 6000' for the duration.  Gives us a chance to enjoy the scenery!  Here you can see Dent Island abaft the plane and Hamilton Island's runway in the port quarter.

Posted Image

Flying past the Conway national Park on the mainland.

Posted Image

Leaving the cape behind and flying down the Whitsunday Passage

Posted Image

Approaching Mackay and descending before entering the pattern

Posted Image

Downwind leg, left traffic for runway 32

Posted Image

And here we are, imminent touchdown

Next up on the list is a flight around Cairns and some of the Barrier Reef, methinks.  Stay tuned for more!

Cheers,

Derek

Beautiful shots Derek, you've done extremely well to capture the feel of the area. Really like the Cousteau paint scheme on the Big Cat too - listened to a very interesting documentary on his life and times a couple of weeks ago (podcasts are the true friends of the late night developer).

Cheers

Jarrad

Beautiful shots Derek, you've done extremely well to capture the feel of the area. Really like the Cousteau paint scheme on the Big Cat too - listened to a very interesting documentary on his life and times a couple of weeks ago (podcasts are the true friends of the late night developer).

Cheers

Jarrad

Cheers mate.  I'm a Cousteau fan too, which is why I chose that paint  :)  Got to meet the great man himself once, and his son as well, when I used to work down at the aquarium at Hillarys many moons ago.  Spent the first half of my career as a marine biologist and naturalist, my two greatest heroes were Jaques Cousteau and David Attenborough.

Archived