Windsock Textures

Order No. 3409

A big thank you for v1.2, the whole thing downloaded and installed with no problem. However, there is one minor point that has happend since installing v1.2, my windsocks have no textures. Both your beautiful windsock and the pole are just plain white.  :'(

I've checked the texture folder, and the texture files for the windsock are there, so any ideas what the problem may be?

Norman

The FSDeveloper windsock is a graphically-simple windsock which uses the texture from the sock on the pole, too.  There is a red-white, a white and a yellow version at this time thanks to Ian Routley's hex-editing.  The 1st 2 versions have white poles and the 3rd version has a yellow pole.  This is not ideal but neither is having a non-animated sock or having one that shows wind direction without speed or one that requires a 2nd wind-direction-sensitive mdl to be in sight to operate correctly.  The FSDeveloper sock shows direction and speed and does not require any other wind-pointers in the vicinity.  These FSDeveloper socks still look better than the FSX defaults which are placed by AFCADs.  So, all-in-all, they are an acceptable compromise at this point.

Ah, thanks for that exlanation. I have not flown to all airfields in V1.2 yet, obviously, but the offending (if that is the right word) socks were at Yallam and Ceres Geelong. If I recall correctly these were red and white stripped before.

Norman

Sorry to come back again on this, but I have now applied the patch for early downloads, and instead of white windsocks I now have windsocks without textures.

This shot is at Kalimna Field Lakes Entrance, but it is the same at Ceres Geelong.

Posted Image

and this is a copy of the windsock texture entry in the scenery folder for the v1.2

Posted Image

Is the name of the second windsock bmp correct?

Norman

Edit:

I have now had a bit more of a look around, and the sock at Grovedale Geelong is also untextured, those at Yarram and Healesville are white and I couldn't see one at Aireys Inlet or Lilydale.

Norman

You appear to be on the shaded side of the windsock.  I see faint "seams" on the sock which do NOT coincide with joins between polys.  So those seams are part of the texture.

The 2nd windsock "texture" is disabled.  It is no longer used.  It is not necessary.  It is vestigial like a human appendix or tailbone.

You seem so interested in windsocks that I should point out again:

The FSDeveloper windsock is a graphically-simple windsock which uses the texture from the sock on the pole, too.  There is a red-white, a white and a yellow version at this time thanks to Ian Routley's hex-editing.  The 1st 2 versions have white poles and the 3rd version has a yellow pole.  This is not ideal but neither is having a non-animated sock or having one that shows wind direction without speed or one that requires a 2nd wind-direction-sensitive mdl to be in sight to operate correctly.  The FSDeveloper sock shows direction and speed and does not require any other wind-pointers in the vicinity.  These FSDeveloper socks still look better than the FSX defaults which are placed by AFCADs.  So, all-in-all, they are an acceptable compromise at this point.

The perfect freeware windsock is an object we have yet to see.  The quest for a better sock has stymied many a talented object designer.  The FSDev sock was designed for FS9.  Could it have been re-done with the FSXSP2 SDK?  Dunno.  It is available in only 1 form - red-white - which is NOT ideal for Australia.  I first gave it alternative manually-swappable textures.  Ian Routley recently hex-edited the mdls to make separate socks calling a range of textures.

The only suggestion I can make is that if windsocks interest you so much, learn Gmax and give us what we need - the perfect Wind-velocity-measuring multi-textured high-poly sock in a variety of designs and colours with a range of bases, lighting setups and poles.  It won't make you famous or wealthy.  It won't get you much thanks, even, but it will give you enjoyment and satisfaction.

THE END

Hi Mark,

Thanks again. No, I am not unduly worried abiout windsocks, as long as they give the wind direction. However, I fly on line with a group of others who mostly have FTE and the airfields, and they were all in praise of the standard of the windsocks, that were way above the default.

Norman

The windsock is Arno Gerritsen and Jon Patch's.

Good News (before anyone complains) - I've tracked down the mapping for the pole - so the yellow windsock should have a white pole in FW 1.3.

Look out for Orange, Pink and Green textures - coming to an airfield near(?) you - er, apparently if you live in Alpine areas - so I'm told.

The downside will be a small white dot on the sock (that no-one better complain about ;) )

Archived