More RAM?

chumley

OK, I've read regularly that FSX being a 32bit program is limited to how much RAM it can use.

I currently have 6gb and occasionally RAM starvation hits when I'm using FSX and simultaneously doing other things (work  :'().

The question is - will more RAM provide extra headroom to allow FSX to keep trundling along while other things are attended to?

Thanks

Andy b

I'm not one of the guru's around here on hardware things but being a 32 bit program i suspect it will fully utilize the 6 gig when you have a 64 bit os running. You might want to try not doing anything else when flying. See how it handles then.

Yeah that should do the trick, though that's a bit crazy that 6GB isn't enough. On the 32-bit issue, it doesn't matter - 32-bit Windows has a 2GB per application limit, but 64-bit Windows will let programs use as much as they want.

Cheers,

Mike

Andy,

When you say doing other things, what other things are you doing?

It wasn't until I upgraded to win 7 64, with my new i7 system with 6 gigs of ram that OOM errors stopped.

It was hell. Now I'm in heaven.

FSX (plus all the great add-ons) requires a properly balanced system with a fast CPU, GPU, RAM, and a 64 bit OS, working together in harmony.

You don´t need more than 6 gigz for FSX. If you´re into video editing and high end photo editing 12 gigz would help. So, don´t spend money on more ram on behalf of FSX. What you could look for would be faster ram with low latencies.

Bjorn

Andy,

When you say doing other things, what other things are you doing?

It wasn't until I upgraded to win 7 64, with my new i7 system with 6 gigs of ram that OOM errors stopped.

It was hell. Now I'm in heaven.

FSX (plus all the great add-ons) requires a properly balanced system with a fast CPU, GPU, RAM, and a 64 bit OS, working together in harmony.

Bit of web surfing, running Plan-G on a second monitor, occasional work on Quicken, Office apps e.g. MS Word, Excel (not Access), Outlook etc.

Thanks

Ab

Archived