What is best, 2xSSD Raid 0 or 2 x GTX 580 SLI?

drumsonly2002

At this moment, Q5950 w 12 meg cache, OC'd @  3.2 ghz, C drive = SSD for Win XP, D drive = SSD for FSX, GTX 580 in a HAF 922 Coolermaster case.

1. Have an Adaptec 5802 controller card, and an extra SSD, so put XP on it's own drive, use Raid 0 for FSX. The Adaptec controller card fits into PCI express x 8, data transfer rate up to 300mps per port. 

or, 2. GTX 580 SLI, no raided SSD's

I understand the bottleneck is the CPU,thus awaiting to see what Sandybridge has to offer.

What would do? Any comments appreciated. Thank you.

To answer your question, FSX requires a properly balanced system that should include a very fast CPU OC to 4, fast ram with low timings, fast HDs like SSD drives (One for OS and one for FSX) and one fast GPU like the gtx 580.

Your problem is your CPU. Invest in the fastest CPU along with two fast SSD drives and one gtx 580. Then tweak the hell ou t of it.  8)

The i7 930 is proving itself a great chip for FSX, so I decided to go i7. I am a bit of an intell fan anyways. I bought several AMD computers thus give Intell a go this time around.

Drums ... It might be worth jumping in (now with i7-950 it would appear)

It would probably be worth sequentially planning your upgrade.  There is going to be little point getting a GTX580 (or even two of them) if you don;t have the bandwidth to support it.

You have some "bits" which will be useful  ... but you seem to be skirting around the core (pun intended) issue.

• 2 weeks later...

And FSX does not take advantage of SLI, so the CPU and a single fast GPU is the way to go.  Plus mobo, plus RAM etc.

Many report improvements with SLI but I suspect this is a bye-product as there is no built in compatability with SLI.  So the investment in two GPUs.

And FSX does not take advantage of SLI, so the CPU and a single fast GPU is the way to go.  Plus mobo, plus RAM etc.

Many report improvements with SLI but I suspect this is a bye-product as there is no built in compatability with SLI.  So the investment in two GPUs.

FSX DOES take advantage of SLI. I have 2 480's in SLI and the difference if I use only one is immediately noticable.

On the subject of SSD's. I have  one OCX 260 gig collasus . It is split into C: and D:, with D: being exclusively FSX. This setup is very fast and is the best I have tried.

But first of all you need a faster cpu. You will not get any advatage from an SSD if your cpu can not keep up with it.

Archived