Traffic info for YSCB

Graham Eccleston

Can I suggest those of you who purchase YSCB and have the FTX AU Traffic pack take a moment or two to see just how busy the skies over Canberra can get.

Fire up FSX, select one of the two control towers and then select the 2D cockpit view (radar view). Canberra is on the main airline route between Sydney and Melbourne so it's a bit like sitting on the side of a freeway and watching the traffic going past.

The Sydney - Melbourne air passenger route is currently rated the forth busiest in the world, so there should be plenty of passing air traffic for you to monitor even though Canberra itself may be a little quiet.

Posted Image

On a cold clear winter morning we can have an absolutely cloudless sky that is criss-crossed by at least half a dozen contrails. On a similarly clear evening it can look quite spectacular as they light up all golden :).

I often stand at the bus stop early in the morning and watch the birds fly overhead, trying to pick out whether it has a red tail or two or four engines.

Very cool stuff. In fact it was only the other day I came across those FTX towers in the aircraft menu, after all this time how I missed them I have no idea.

Graham I am somewhat interested when you say the Sydney - Melbourne air route is the 4th busiest in the world, what are the top 3?

Was wondering that myself.  From good ole wikipedia...

1.  Tokyo International / New Chitose, Japan

2.  Gimpo International / Jeju International, South Korea

3.  Tokyo International / Fukuoka International, Japan

4.  Sydney / Melbourne, Australia

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_busiest_passenger_air_routes

Sydney / Brisbane is right up there as well, at number 12.  I would have assumed that the US would have had a few of the top ones, but they don't make a showing until number 18 with LA / San Francisco.

Cheers,

Derek

EDIT: Just realised that's measuring by seating capacity.  By number of flights, Sydney / Melbourne is ranked #2, and Sydney / Brisbane is #7.

I was in Khancoban last summer and didn't even realize it was that busy so after some research, there are 59 scheduled flights from Tiger, Virgin, Jestar, Qantas and United for tomorrow. Plus there was the cargo flights from Toll and Cathay Cargo which I couldn't find how many.

Hmm ... more people travel Brisbane-Townsville than Sydney-Canberra each year. This really is the world's greatest back-water capital  ::)

Poor old Canberra - but to be fair it's only a 3 hour drive from the Sydney CBD to the Canberra CBD rather than the 1,350km 16hr drive from Brissy to Townsville so I suspect that a rather larger number people just drive it  ;) ;)

Archived