Deadly Approaches

Bernie

I think the 4th one down is Kansai in Japan, I came in at night having no idea that it was a purpose built airport Island, when taking off the next morning at about 5000 AGL I looked out the window to see a tiny island with nothing but runways and had to ask the flight attendant if thats where we just came from, she told me a nice little history on it, including that it is sinking back in to the ocean at a rate of 3 inches a year! lol

If i'm not mistaken, which i'm sure i'm not when you look in google earth, #4 is not Osaka, however it is another airport that is built on reclaimed land, namely Santos Dumont Airport in Central Rio De Janeiro. (theres a helicopter mission in FSX at this airport)

Heres my take on whats what:

#1 - Macau International Airport, Macau

#2 -

#3 -

#4 - Santos Dumont Airport, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

#5 - Macau International Airport, Macau

#6 - Madeira, Portugal

#7 - Madeira, Portugal

#8 -

#9 - LPFL, Flores Airport, Azores, Portugal

#10 -

#11 -

#12 - St. Barts

#13 - St. Barts

#14 - Lukla, Nepal

#15 -

#16 -

#17 - Lord Howe Island, Australia (?)

#18 -

#19 -

#20 - Courchevel. France

#21 -

#22 -

#23 -

#24 - Floro, Norway

#25 - Hamilton Island, Australia

#26 -

#27 - Princess Juliana/ St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles

Im surprised all the classics like Innsbruck, Kai Tak, and Saba aren't there.

Cheers, Jimmy :)

quite a collection,  I wonder though why an airport is classified as "dangerous"  just because there's water on the approach.  If you land short of the runway in a commercial jet on land you're just as dead as if you had hit the water at St Maarten.  you still have to make the runway.  Outrageous crosswinds, high altitudes, approaches like Contontin,  that's where the true danger is.

Just my .02

Archived