Coming together

tennyson

I've just bought a heap of parts for my new cockpit in the last week.

I've decide to bite the bullet and sell my VRinsight MCP combo (which is still selling on ebay real cheap at the moment) and go with the Go Flight MCP, Go Flight Efis and the Undercarriage-trim panel.

I also lucked into buying a very near new 737 control column, which will fit nicely in the pit.

I've still got a few goodies to come. I'm buying the centre console from Go Flight, radio stack and Go flight throttle unit, too.

It's a real good time to be buying US items, as the price is right and sales are desperate at the moment.

As I assemble all of the units and build the pit, I'll throw a few shots up,

Frank

Bonjour Frank,

Great! Hope to eventually see photos of your B737 cockpit on the forum. Let me know how the GoFlight EFIS unit works out, as I am having some trouble with mine (although all my other GF stuff works fine). Are you going to make your setup a dedicated Boeing cockpit ... ?

David

Hi Dave,

Even tho I will predominantly fly 737NGX, I'll also be able to use it for everything else.

i'm building the pit in 3 pieces, so I can fit it in my study, so as soon as all of the gear arrives, I have to go back to my drawings and modify them before I start building.

Buying the control column has alleviated a small problem that I was facing with my new 23" touch screen, so I'll have some added space to play with now, where the existing saitek yoke went.

Plenty of pictures to follow,

Frank

Hi Dave,

Not Cad. I have done them in CorelDraw where I can scale them easily and make models straight from the paper output.

I've used this method for a long time and built a lot of furniture that way.

The drawings, when made into models, allow me to test all of the monitors and assocoated equipment for fit and functionality, before I commit to making anything.

Now, it's just a matter of adjusting the drawings, create some models and check again.

Frank 

UPDATE:

Just picked up my new 737 control column. It's a  dead set beauty!

I got it for 500 bucks from a great ex-simmer on the Gold Coast. It's heavy metal construction and I paid about 1/4 of what it's worth.

Posted Image

[img width=393 height=700]http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/4122.jpg

Even better, while I was out picking up the column, my new goflight autopilot, efis and undercarriage module were delivered.

I wasn't home, so I gotta go pick them up from the post office.

All this and the Lancair and YMML V2, it's gotta be Xmas in November!!!

Frank

Bonjour Frank,

Nice yoke ... looks to me (if I'm not mistaken) like that manufactured by Precision Flight Controls? ... but with an approach plate support added! (... nice!!) I'd be interested to know how you plan to connect/activate it, and it's relation to your new GoFlight controls. In my cockpit, I have the same "Jetliner" yoke connected via the games card ... which means it has limited functionality!

David

You are right David.

It is indeed a Precision Flight Control 737 Yoke.

As far as compatibility, I plugged it in and it worked immediately, without any software or set-up.

My only problem is, with the Saitek yoke and throttle, I can't disconnect the yoke as the throttle connects through it.

I'm still working on that, but long term, I'm buying the goflight throttle quadrant anyway.

The goFlight gear was similar except I had to download the software for it to be recognized in Windows.

I was thinking I might need to buy Project Magenta, but now I'm not so sure.

I'll know more when I have a bit of time to set it all up and test it thoroughly.

Frank

Bonjour Frank,

Do you have all buttons working on your PFC yoke (I only have been able to get the breaks going!?) Would really like to have the A/P cutout (red button) working! Of course all the steering functions work. Let me know how your GoFlight controls work out (I still can't really get any movement out of their EIFS) Their other controls are excellent ... especially the throttle quadrant & the MCPpro!!

At present I am only using the default FSX B737-800 ......

David

I've had it plugged in Dave and all worked fine, but had to disconnect it because of room issues at the moment.

I'm really pleasantly surprised at the level of functionality with the GoFlight modules.

Most of my aircraft (nearly all payware) work fine and I've not found any yet that don't work partially.

I'm only really interested in getting it working fully for the 737 and anything on top of that is gravy.

I'll keep you posted,

Frank

Another part arrived today, my first of two EFIS's.

I now have the GoFlight MCP with the attached EFIS on one end and will pick up the second next week, along with the ATC panel.

I must say that this GoFlight gear is very well made and certainly looks the part.

It's especially nice to do night flights now with the MCP lighting up properly. I'll be building a little enclosure with extra srip lighting for the pit though.

My wife keeps asking me if I've secretly won lotto, but the truth is my kids told me they didn't expect an inheritance anyway.

Frank

Bonjour Frank,

TWO EFIS'S ...... !?!? ...... sounds very serious! A real 2 seat cockpit? Are you going to have 2 FMC's as well? (Or I suppose why not 3!) Can't wait for the photos ... and perhaps more pertinant, your technical reports (might help me with my several smmall Go Flight difficulties ?!?!

David

Tennyson,

Those yokes are very robust and nice to use. Until a year ago I flew in forest fire suppresion (for 9 years) and the organization I flew the CL215 for went and built a sim for that aircraft using that particular yoke. 20+ pilots trained on it each spring, were hard on it, and it worked well.

For anyone interested the o/s used was Xplane and the visuals were 5 - 50" plasmas. A year or so after the 215 sim was up and running they build a sim for the Cessna 310 (used as a birddog in this outfit - I was checked out on both and flew either as needed sometimes both in the same day - great job only changed because being away so much was hard on the home life). Both the 310 & 215 could be flown "in the same world" and this helped new comers to this type of flying get used to working them together in close proximity and to co-ordinate on fire activities. Pardon the rambling but these were a home grown flight sim setup (total cost my guess of over $200K) but saved a lot of money in making training time in the actual aircraft much more productive and safer.

To make a long story short - I quite liked the yoke and if one fit my budget I'd have it.

Dave

Archived