Defragmentation programs - anyone tried this?

mmglads

I've been using the standard defrag program in Vista (as it's actually not too bad) but see in previous threads that O&O seems to be the defrag program of choice. Last night I did a web "trawl" before making a decision to purchase, & found "Ultimate Degrag 2008". They are good enough to let you try it out before buying it  & I've found that you can actually nominate your preferred programs to be defragged contiguously and - perhaps more importantly - moved to the outer edge of the HDD, where access is fastest. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this program? ??? It seems to be totally configurable, or as simple as you like.

O & O version 8.6 works with Vista [8.5 does not].  Version 10 has an issue with "space" defragging which O & O and u$oft are trying to resolve.  Disktrix Ultimate Defrag 2008 with SP1 works OK, but I still keep returning to Perfect disk.  HTH.

Maurice.

I use O&O defrag version 10 32bit for my productivity vista drive and version 10 64 bit for my Flight Sim drive and they both work perfectly.

They keep my drives in tip top condition and I've used O&O since version 8. It's been faultless for me.

I wouldn't use anything else.

Two other proggys that I think are also magic...Alacrity PC and nhancer for your Nvidia cards. They are the two outstanding progs for FSX and FTX.

Frank

Thanks guys, I've spent a fair bit of time defragging with Ultimate Defrag 2008, & although it's good - and fun graphically - it just has too many variables for me - you just are never sure that the option you've chosen is the best one! I think for most busy people these days, a simple solution is best, (if not always perfect) & I've also tried Perfect Disk, but again, but it gives warning messages about MFT defrag percentile problems etc. (which this liitle black duck doesn't really completely understand), so I'm about to "go with the flow" & try O&O version 10 for Vista. Hopefully, the latest release will have cleared up any Vista anomolies. Thanks so much for the input, it's always invaluable to get other folk's opinions - especially when you're going to shell out some hard earned cash! Cheers!! P.S. Just seen the last post about the freeware program - thanks, Goober! :D

I run diskeeper, have for years and have no complaints.. but then again I don't have vista.. I tried ultimate defrag.. not impressed, dumped it mainly because a family member is a programmer, and advised against using it.. and that the concept of placing everything on the outer rim of the drive is not good practice. Teecee.

Sorry, no offence goober, but the link for the free O&O is not for Vista. It is for 2000/XP.

8.6 also has problems with Vista, but as I said in an earlier post, 10 is fine (has been for me anyway) with no faults so far and I have been using it on my Vista  machine for a few months.

As far as easy goes it has an inbuilt scheduler that you can set and forget, but somewhere on this site there is a great how-to on defragging that explains it in detail.

John Venema posted it (I think) so you know it will be good!

Frank

Archived