Re complaints about trees on flight path. & "where are the airstrips"?

jgruschow

Most of the trees that are the subject of complaint can be removed simply by lowering autogen to normal. In fact,IMO, your computer should be locked on normal Or even lower if you have a lesser computer.

I believe normal should be compatable with "real world". Anything higher is showing things that don't exist.

Also there have been several posts about "where is so & so?". Again the answer is simple. Buy a map,a ruler and a protractor and measure the direction and distance from a starting point. Then fly a compass heading for the necessary time. This is much more interesting than followimg a line on a GPS navigator. And remember in real life very, very few light aircraft have a GPS anyway. When looking for the airstrip always remember that lots of strips are just that, strips. They are probably not sealed, they may not have runway markers and maybe not even a windsock. Just persavere and sooner or later you will find it.

Most of the trees that are the subject of complaint can be removed simply by lowering autogen to normal. In fact,IMO, your computer should be locked on normal Or even lower if you have a lesser computer.

I believe normal should be compatable with "real world". Anything higher is showing things that don't exist.

Sorry Jack, I don't agree and your advice is not sound. FSX is ultimately designed to be run with all sliders maxxed and with autogen density set to "Extremely Dense", however today's current high-end PC's don't cope well with this, but perhaps over the next 18 months will begin to run the sim more comfortably at that setting.

Your comment "Anything higher is showing things that don't exist" is also incorrect. At max autogen, we expect all our annotation to be displayed and objects which were intended to be displayed by our explicit placement will be displayed.

Trees obscuring runways are an issue of design and/or vector roads which have yet to be removed or re-aligned. In due course all those tree infringements may be rectified - indeed we are internally working on a system where each airport dev has control over the FTX vector roads themselves and we will have less of this issue moving forward.

I will agree with the statement about not using a GPS. All the real life planes I fly have a GPS but I can count the number of times on 2 hands and one foot that I have used it. One thing to keep in mind is this.

While flying any aircraft, utilizing one system to get from point A to point B is suicide. ANY flight should encompass ALL forms of navigation in the same flight. ie: GPS backs up the NAV radios ( VOR to VOR etc ), NAV radios back up ADF ( Yes, ADF is still used ), ADF backs up DEAD RECKONING and DR backs up the head out of the cockpit. Only when all those jive, do you have a reasonable idea where you're at and where you're going.

To me, this is part of the fun of flight sims. I love pushing buttons.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I love having the sliders maxed, and will even take a slow framerate because most of the flying I do is following visuals and FSX maxed out gives us almost all the detail real life gives.. Real life navigation is difficult, because of all the variables.. in particular the effect of winds on aircraft.. but in FS finding your way around is simple.. follow the river..or the road that is going where you want to go.. or track to a heading for a certain length of time at a certain speed,and start looking for the strip.. lovely.. it's the only way to fly in my opinion.. Teecee.

Archived