DX9 versus DX10 Question

Turnip

I have heard that there are less small stutters in FSX if you use DX9 instead of DX10. I have no desire to hose my system as it runs fairly well but the small stutters are very annoying.

Question: Can I revert VISTA HOME to DX9 instead of DX10 and if so, should I try it and how do I do it?

I have heard that there are less small stutters in FSX if you use DX9 instead of DX10. I have no desire to hose my system as it runs fairly well but the small stutters are very annoying.

Question: Can I revert VISTA HOME to DX9 instead of DX10 and if so, should I try it and how do I do it?

Vista contains both the DX9 and the DX10 runtime, it is up to the application to select which one to use ( given the end-user has DX10 hw ).

all you need to do to use DX10 ( or DX9) in FSX-SP2 is toggle the DX10 Preview checkbox and restart FSX.

Ah OK    So If I've been using FSX with the box unchecked all this time, then I have been using DX9???  Has anyone had anything good come out of using DX10 in FSX???

I jjst ran it in DX10 at Bathurst and it looked OK. I'll experiment more tonight and see what i come up with. Those little stutters are annoying as hell. I have a 5ms ACER 22 inch monitor. Could that be causing any problems?

I have a 5ms ACER 22 inch monitor. Could that be causing any problems?

I'd say that's highly unlikely. My first response would be to ask what other programs are running in the background. Too much "junk" trying to share CPU time will cause the stutters. A quick test is to open Task manager whilst in the main FSX screen and look at the processes running. You can check the "affinity" of each of the processes as well. With FSX load sharing between both of your cores, you don't want too many processes trying to monopolise one core as that will slow the whole kit and caboodle down. Also trying to run FSX will all the sliders set to max will quickly overload even the most advanced home PC.

I'm unsure what advantage running Vista DX9 vs Vista DX10 will provide. I believe the "performance hit" is more related to whether you are running XP vs Vista.

I shut down all Anti Virus stuff and Messenger etc. Then I run ALACRITY which shuts down everything else. Keep in mind that the "stutters" I am talking about are not huge. Instead of fluid motion, I get small jumps/stutters/lurches of the scenery. It is especially noticeable in turns. While flying strait, you can't notice it. I really wish i had another system to watch to see if this is even fixable. It may be an inherant flaw in FSX.

When you mean stutter - is it a jerky motion when you turn - press Shift Z to bring up a display which will give you your frames per second (fps).  See what fps you are getting - if it is under 10 or something like that the jerky motion when you turn is as a result of your fps.

Just to further clarify a point raised earlier - if you have an 8 or 9 series nvidia card that does support dx10.  7 or earlier is dx9.

You could try creating a batch file (the batch file was created by another member in another post - can't seem to find it) and make flight sim x run in 'realtime' mode - the syntax is like so...

start /realtime fsx.exe

be aware you should have a dual core or higher cpu for this - on a single core it could halt your system to a crawl.

hope this helps.

Then I run ALACRITY which shuts down everything else. Keep in mind that the "stutters" I am talking about are not huge. Instead of fluid motion, I get small jumps/stutters/lurches of the scenery.

It sounds like your FSX settings need optimising then. Your system certainly is "powerful" enough to handle FSX (I'm running a P4 3GHz, and get decent framerates-except in congested city airspace). Are the stutters related to where you are flying? City flying, with traffic present really does put a squeeze on CPUs as it's the CPU does all the position and vector calculations. As Grocs said, use Shift-Z to bring up your framerates, go for a long flight through city and country at low level.

I'm pretty sure FTX is not compatable with the DX10 (preview). That is all it is.

Or at least it is not recomended to use with FTX scenery.

cheers

Buggerup.

I made some FTX DX10 shots : http://orbxsystems.com/forums/index.php?topic=963.0

When your sim stutters, the first thing you should check is your texture bandwidth multiplier in the cfg. Values above 40 are not recommended. Another 'tweak' which can lead to those micro hick ups would be Bufferpools. Leaving that one at default (no cfg entry) gave me the best result. When it stutters, there is something wrong and it can be the result of tweaking the sim to death...

Trying different GPU drivers is another option.

You could try creating a batch file (the batch file was created by another member in another post - can't seem to find it) and make flight sim x run in 'realtime' mode - the syntax is like so...

Hi ,

From Butch .... in a other post ...

Hi Uhu,

I've put both the +fullproc and /realtime together into a small batch file which you can get here: http://members.optusnet.com.au/butch/fsx.bat right click on this link and select 'save link as'.

Save this in your FSX root folder (where fsx.exe is located) then you can one of two things.

1.) Right click on fsx.bat and create a shortcut which you will then save to your desktop. Use this to start FSX from now on.

or

2.) Right click on your current shortcut and simply change the extension from fsx.exe to fsx.bat then 'apply'.

To check if its worked, start up fsx in a window using the short cut and start 'task manager' (ctrl+alt+del) then click on the performance tab. From there you will see your various cores hard at work. 

To check if /realtime has worked, click on 'processes' and find fsx.exe, right click on it and select 'set priority' it should already be on the highest setting which is 'realitme'. 

As I stated before, this works on multi core (more than one) cpu's. It will still work on a single core but you need to be patient because this command tells your PC to give FS top priority. All other commands / instructions will be queued up behind fsx.

As always, no warranties implied or offered use at your own risk!

Cheers,

Butch

PS ... forgot to say ... it works "great" on my "old" system!!!  :)

A big thank you,Butch !!!  ;)

GROCS:  When I say stutter it is due to the lack of a better term. Whether there is AutoGen scenery or not, whether there is sliders all the way to the left or right, while in a bank I look left or right and the ground has a "pulsing" effect. The FPS does not deviate more than 1 to 1.5 FPS. I am running a ATI Radeon 3870 with the latest drivers. This is not a sound issue either as I have shut it completely down with no effect.

Loosestping: I have all the traffic shut down. This does drop my framerates but it has no bearing on the little pulsing stutters.

MANGO: I'll try and delete the BUFFERPOOLS entry.

Also, I'll run the batch file. I just have to figure out how to set it up using ALACRITY as it is great at shutting down all the background processes. I'll post back my results and thanks everyone for their help.

Well,  Looks like I can't run it in REALTIME as it "hoses" my sound. The sound starts to stutter and pop. Any clue as to what causes this? All drivers are up to date and I am using the onboard sound.

I did manage to run it in HIGH instead of REALTIME tho. I looked at my CPU usage while flying and both cores were at 100%. That probably means I am maxed out and the 2.3's need overclocked or replaced. Your thoughts?

Turnip allready said it "onboard sound" as with this "tweak" the resources are diverted to the fsX process the soundpart gets the stick end and not enough resources for it.

I have on my antiquated system here a separate soundcard (Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum) and it works a treat

That was what I figured. I had an AUDIGY installed before but had to remove it to make room for a FIREWIRE port card.  :P

I have the batch file set to run FSX in HIGH mode. Can someone explain to me what REALTIME mode actually is?

I can't seem to get it to run under the ALACRITY program. If someone can figure out how to do that, I think that will be a real nice setup for FSX. Realtime mode looked great but the sound was hosed. hehe

biggest problem is always that no two systems are alike and hence therefore you have to make some concessions, if it works for you that way it's OK, but in all honesty I would go throught the running services and toss out all the crapola you don't need.

The only difference you'll notice is that some proggies wil start up with a lil delay in comparison to when you have 'm all turned on in the background.

I have the batch file set to run FSX in HIGH mode. Can someone explain to me what REALTIME mode actually is?

these are 2 good resources:

Scheduling Priorities

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms685100(VS.85).aspx

Analyzing Processor Activity

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/pred_ana_umwv.mspx?mfr=true

and provide other links to drill in further.

Archived