Melbourne AFL Grand Final

Graham Eccleston

I lived in Melbourne for 3 years some time back and although a New South Welshman, learnt to enjoy the game previously called 'Aussie Rules Football'. I'm afraid however, you lost me today.

How the administrators of this sport can allow the two finalists to play for the better part of two hours and then not get a result is beyond me. No extra time, no tie break provisions, just the decision to return again next week and do it all again. While the game was exciting to watch, the way it ended was a giant let down and an enormous black mark on the administrators of the game if this is the best they can do.

I hope the MCG trust does not expect people to pay full price for the game again next week. I imagine this cost would be difficult to wear for many of the grass roots supporters of the game.

I no longer live in Melbourne (when I did, Collingwood was my team of choice) but if I were one of the 100,000 odd people who went to the game today, I would feel well and truly cheated. Surely 4, 5 minute sessions each way until someone scores a ‘golden point’ would have been exciting to watch and a no brainer for the administrators to arrange.

Sorry to have this rant on a flight sim forum, but it is a bit quiet at the moment and I would be interested in the thoughts of some of my Victorian colleagues on this.

They should have played to get a result I don't think a 'Golden Point' is the way to go but a draw is rare so you could suggest it should be left alone.

Four 5 minute quarters with the winner ahead after the end of the extra 20 minutes is an option.

In the event of a tie - count back on the number of goals with those outside 50 worth additional points or even a 50 metre shoot out from five angles around the arc or perhaps the highest ranked team takes the prize - in this case Collingwood.

However, I must add that  in this case I don't give a stuff as my ideal result was the outcome - neither side won  ;D

Andy b

Hi all,

They should do what is the procedure in the rest of the finals series and that is to play two 5 min halves and the winner after that goes through, not sure what happens if scores are level though. Good game to watch today and i have to say that Goddard or Maxwell should have got Norm Smith (Best on Ground). Just my opinion  :P

Cheers,

Nick

I wandered off to my local here in the rice paddies to watch the game live (with NO ads I might say, thank you Australia Network), 100K + in attendance and you could hear a penny drop. I agree, what's wrong with playing 2 additional 10 minute halves or whatever. Oh, shlt I forgot, television rights and programmers have got the AFL by the balls. (excuse the pun).

Go the Saints.

It's a silly argument because the administrators could only change the rule in advance, not on the spot on Saturday, and no one was raising it as an issue before. All teams knew the rules in advance but no one thought the probability of a draw high enough to lobby for new rules. Frankly I think it should be left as it is. It makes for a novel and exciting scenario that most of us haven't experienced before. And instead of the usual end-of-season letdown we get to see another great game.

Greg

Archived