Great Ocean Road

cjlowe5

Hi Guys,

I must be missing something.

I created a flightplan along the south coast of Victoria to check out the sights in one of my favourite areas.

I can't seem to find any of the fairly famous landmarks down that way.

Such as London Bridge, Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge

Or did I miss it??

PS I'm willing to make them if required. Newbie but talented.

That is the one dissapointing thing for me after living in that area so long, I for one would be stoked to see some of that scenery, and also things like the great ocean road sign over the area between anglesea and aireys inlet and things like the cumberland resort in lorne (while its a blight on great scenery it is none the less a VFR point)

Cheers

I'm willing to make them if required. Newbie but talented.

Hi cjlowe

We'd love to see what you can do!  I suppose Gmax models would be the go.  And once you've done the 12 Apostles, there's the Glasshouse Mtns on SEQ's Sunshine Coast, the 3 Sisters in the Blue Mtns, various rock formations for the Red Region - actually the list would be very extensive and it wouldn't be easy getting the source info to produce realistic 3D shapes.

Enhancing the FTX scenery with additions like this in the Freeware would be wonderful.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Guess I've got some work ahead of me!

Maurice what do you mean by blame FSX - just curious.

I also noted my coastline was quite flat if you know what I mean - the actual coast is quite how do I say full of cliffs eloquently.

The bay of martyrs down that way is awesome too.

Aussiecop - I reckon the GOR sign over the road - would be a fairly easy (?) start.

then move on to the Cumberland resort at lorne ala an airport?

Starting from scratch MarkWlee - could you point me in the right direction - reading material and products to get me started on scenery design. I look forward to the challenge.

dreamnugget

That's very true it did collapse, London Bridge is near the twelve apostles but not so close as to call it another apostle.

Maybe I'll do both - uncollapsed and collapsed, maybe a VASAR resue mission to get the stranded folk off too!

Ahh, we can but dream(nugget),

ah well back to the scenery how to study.

Not having decided yet on buying FTX I may be missing something here. But am I right in assuming that if FSX hasn't modelled a particular land/coastal feature eg the Twelve Apostles, FTX doesn't have them either?

Thanks for clearing that up aussiecop.

Granted I'm new to the whole Microsoft FS thingie (and this may seem rather naive) but...... given that the FS concept has been around for many, many years isn't it odd that such noticible features as the Twelve Apostles is completely missing from the FSX? Or that the cliffs of Dover are so poorly rendered? Or that Pacific Islands foilage is wrong? Or the limited towns in the landscape in Libya. I could go on.

I do like FSX, but I am surprised at what's missing in it, almost as much as impressed as to what's included.  :)

Aussiecop I'm on it - working hard, time permitting.

Pips - without being too colloquial the world is a big place and time is limited, the FSX devs have done the best they can with the time and resources they had.

Their major market is arguably the US so that would presumably get the "best" coverage.

Australia is but a blip on the "where's that" radar, no offence to anyone, it is simply market driven.

Do lots of US stuff and sell more units.

The FS dev team do publish details about how to make the missing bits and it encourages people to get into it.

I'm a case in point - I'm doing this scenery development for fun it's a challenge.

They also have to consider what can be rendered on an average PC, I believe each release of FS has pushed hardware to its limits which is good IMHO.

Unfortunately as technology develops, developers face the problem of backward compatibility.

Scenery developed for FS2004/9 isn't necessarily compatible with FSX so it has to be tweaked or done over.

Welcome to FS thingie - get into it...you'll be glad you did.

Archived