Rainy but a pretty sunset up around St Helens last week...

bnick2k10

One evening a couple weeks ago I was out in the front yard and I noticed some beautiful clouds moving in off the Pacific and gathering up around Mt St Helens, which is just 46 miles due north of our home...  We had just come through several weeks of sunshine and temps in the high 80's so I thought there may be a pretty sunset up the Mountain in FSX... I downloaded the current weather and took a quick hop up there in my Baron...  It was beautiful to say the least and I decided to grab a bunch of screen shots and work them into a slide show video at 1080p...  For many years I have told myself to buy FRAPS but I thought this simple slide show may also be worth sharing... I'm thinking it could have been maybe a third less in length but still it was fun just puting it together in my video software...  FSX Baron over St Helens 082010.mpg

bnick

Thanks Taff and Northwest...  I've put off for many years getting the Frapps video software but I've been doing lots of 1920x1080p, 30fps vids as well as 1280x720, 60fps work lately in everything but Flight Sim and as a life long photographer I never dreamed I'd get bit by video, but as happens so often it did bite me pretty good and the Flight Sim movies can only be an additional expression of what we all call our art and hobbies...  Having watched many videos in these threads it is so obvious all the real artistic talent out there so for the tiny expense of the Frapps software it should be a fun addition to creating some cool stuff and keeping our minds off the state of the world we have all found ourselves within...

I'm also big time into flying today's latest Radio Control technologies both in electric Aircraft and Heli's and with the new computer radios and advancements in electric brushless motors and batteries both I and my grandkids have been having a ball for the last 3 years flying all the time...  Some of the newest technologies allow us to fly full 4 channel, aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle in just a 1oz Heli and that includes battery for 7 minute flights all throughout the house when the weather is bad in the winter...  Years ago I never dreamed a day would come when I could fly indoors with my grandkids who all really fly well... We set up obstacle courses and grade each other on how precise we take off and land these 1oz Helis and all within the home...

I have been really researching this last year the great advancements in FPV (first person video) where the latest tiny HD camcorders are mounted on both RC Helis and Aircraft as well as RC cars and racers, boats and subs too...  The guys are flying now out and back over 18 miles one way and video recording their whole flights in HD...  The guys watch their entire flight while wearing HD goggles, or through laptops... Not everyone flies that far away and many just fly around their neighborhoods and try to responsibly stay below the 400' altitude ceiling recommended but many fly way high and above the clouds at 10k and higher...  Many of us do not condone that irresponsible flying as all it will take is one 767 or an F18 sucking up one of their RC planes at 8,000' and the risk to life both in the air as well as on ground could permanently close the doors for all the others who fly FPV safely...  Flight sim is very cool as is the art created in Scenery's such as  the kind and quality ORBX has mastered making... Our simming enjoyment is so realistic today but there are also so many other ways to enjoy flight and for me flying both RC pattern planes, scale planes, EDF (enclosed ducted fan jets) Helis, etc, fulfills that desire so many of us have to fly when we cannot afford the real planes themselves...

Sorry I didn't mean to go on so...

Happy Flying...

bnick

PS:  I hope this is ok to add but here are just 2 pics of my Russian Sukhoi Su-34 twin EDF (enclosed ducted fan) RC jet I fly...  This thing has retracts as well as 360 degree vectored thrust tail nozzles which pivot and turn to vector thrust with, and in combination, with every control surface deflection of, ailerons, elevators, and rudder...  There are so many ways to enjoy our love of flight...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Archived