MY COCKPIT

David TRIGGS

Nice, mate.

What sort of control column are you using there?

Do you have another three monitors under the facades and you just change the front panels to suit which aircraft you fly?

If so, are you using triple head to go on them too and are they running off the same PC?

Sorry to be so nosey, mate, but I'm contemplating a 737-800 pit as well and I'm in the planning stages still.

Frank

Hi David

Your cockpit setup is well thought out, I noticed you are using Goflights throttle system. I have been looking at these for a while now online but never seen one in real life. Could you possibly tell us your thoughts on there pros and cons as to how they perform? Any info from someone that has first hand experience with them would be great.

Thanks in advance

Ken  :)

Nice, mate.

What sort of control column are you using there?

Do you have another three monitors under the facades and you just change the front panels to suit which aircraft you fly?

If so, are you using triple head to go on them too and are they running off the same PC?

Sorry to be so nosey, mate, but I'm contemplating a 737-800 pit as well and I'm in the planning stages still.

Frank

He´s got a lot going on under the exterior, multiple pc´s, server type setup, very intriquite. He´ll give you the details ;). Very wisely done, just switching the cut-outs for each plane. One of the coolest rigs I´ve seen!

Bjorn

Bonjour tennyson,

The control column is a JETLINER by PFC (are we allowed to mention trade names on this forum?)

There are 3 monitors behind the cockpit facade with another (out of soght of the photographs) as a control. I do not use TRIPLE-HEAD ... all 4 monitors are off one PC.

Here is my cockpit in use with the default CESSNA SKYHAWK:-

Posted Image

I use 4 computers on a LAN ... 1 server for the cockpit and 3 clients for the forward view. At present I fly 8 (default) aircraft each with its set of removable metal cutouts and a special panel.cfg.

I can provide details of suppliers if you wish ... IF THE FORUM MODERATORS CONFIRM THIS IS OK!!

David

Bonjour Krono,

Yes the throttle is as you suggested by GOFLIGHT ... a GF-TQ6 Throttle System within their GF-AC JET CAPTAIN SYSTEM (with certain modifications that I requested). The GF throttle is supplied with easily changeable parts for JET or PROP (very usefull for my setup, as I can quickly change levers from 2 to 4 thrust to full thrust/prop/mixture). Only problem I had was occasional freezing of some of their modules after long flights, resolved by adding more (powered) hubs.

Here is the cockpit in use with the default BEECHCRAFT BARON:-

Posted Image 

I am not a "techy" so needed quite alot of help from friends and sympathetic suppliers ... I will gladly give more details IF ONE OF THE FORUM MODERATORS WILL CONFIRM THAT THIS IS ACCEPTABLE!!

David

Mr. Triggs, I am Very impressed with your set up I would like to know more about it perhaps you could make a pamphlet so others can emulate your work I appreciate your creativity and tenacity that you have .... as well as financial means no doubt, to take this hobby to a whole new level. very nice indeed as I stated earlier envy is what I feel.

Bonjour ja-durant and dreamnugget (why are we all so coy on this site?!),

Thank you for your comments;

Bonjour Krono,

Let me know how your GF throttle unit works out!

Bonjour Ithendrix,

Not sure I'm technically up to a "pamphlet", but am very happy to post details on this forum AS SOON A MODERATOR CONFIRMS THAT I CAN MENTION TRADE NAMES. Otherwise I am always pleased to reply to direct emails ......

I attach the twin cockpit in its version for the default LEAR JET:-

Posted Image

At the moment I am mostly enjoying flying the BARON over the latest great Pacific North-West scenery by ORBX

David

Hi David

I had to post back and ask another question, I noticed you stated you used a commercial programme to place you gauges in situ. Is there any chance of you letting us know who it is or a link to their site. You have done exactly what I was looking at doing with the gauges and your input would certainly save a lot of head-aches .As I am only a normal user as yourself I cannot say with any authority but I am almst 100% positive that you can mention other companies work and their names as long as it is not in a derogatory manner or that they are not in direct competition (ie sceneries) with ORBX. One thing that I am positive about though and that is if I am wrong we will soon be told.

Ken  :)

Right ... as I am not an employee or affiliate of ANY company (and will not speak of scenery addons!), here we go:-

1 ... The metal cut-outs and the cockpit panel front were supplied by VFR-COCKPIT here in France .. they also did the initial customized panel configuration,

2 ... My later modifications to MSFS panel configuration files (for example adding in a TCAS by DBS) was done by me with the help of FSPANEL STUDIO by FLIGHT 1 SOFTWARE,

3 ... The control yoke is a JETLINER by PRECISION FLIGHt CONTROLS,

4 ... The rudder pedals are by CH PRODUCTS,

5 ... The controls are a JET CAPTAIN SYSTEM by GOFLIGHT (customized)

6 ... The co-ordination of 3 forward views and the cockpit panel is by WIDEVIEW,

7 ... The 4 computers under a LAN were originally setup by AMETYS,

8 ... The hood is just card board lashed-up by yours trully ......

A photo of the setup in its MOONEY variant:-

Posted Image

Hope this helps ... David

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a wild few weeks sourcing a touch screen that will be used for FMC purposes as well as my other instruments.

Came up with a 23" touch screen, very cheap, so I'm incorporating that into my design.

I'm building another model to make sure everything fits before committing to making anything.

If all goes well, I should have it done by Xmas.

Thanx for all of your very informative links. You've got a great set-up there, my friend.

I can only hope to build something as functional,

I'll keep you informed,

Frank

• 2 months later...

I have to thank all cockpit builders here. Although I get very, very jealous when looking at such nice installations, I can actually use them in a way. I print out the photos and show them to my girlfriend, saying "now that's a flight sim maniac", trying to trigger a "well, then he must still be a normal flight sim fan" reaction from her which gives me some quite days when buying another addon for my huge hangar.  ;D

Very nice cockpit there, David and an interesting idea with the switchable panels.

Hi David,

I have recently acquired my new throttle quadrant from VRAircraft:

Posted Image

I am modifying it slightly at the moment, to more closely resemble a 737 quadrant (superficial stuff, really).

I have everything hardware wise to build my pit now, so I am at the stage of drawing up the plans.

However, due to the fact that I go away on holidays in less than a week, I'm probably not going to get a lot of building done before I leave.

I originally planned on creating the pit from 19mm MDF, but have changed to a more solid construction via a sheeted pine frame. It will be stronger in the long run.

I would also like to have the new Sandy Bridge (which is due out in January) running in my machine when I'm finished the build, so I have factored in that upgrade as well.

Have a great Xmas and new year and will see you in 2011,

Frank

• 5 years later...

Archived