More about HIGHMEMFIX for Win 7 64 bit

Arismac

After getting a really good tip from Bjorn (TenBlade) on tweaking my fsx.cfg file I did a little exploring and found this LINK. Replacing the ShadersHLSL folder in FSX combined with the fsx.cfg tweak has made, what I estimate to be at least a 25% improvement in performance.

I believe that Jesus Altuve may have been a part of the MS FSX Team.

Any effect on Nvidia cards for this?

Doesn't look like tbh - i tried it on the office PC (275 GTX) and didn't notice any improvements. The FSWC water tool didn't work anymore and the water looked very unrealistic (similar to the default water). Also the reflections from my beloved REX sparkling waves were affected. 

It obviously works well for ATI users but i won't install it at home for the 480 GTX... (which doesn't have any performance issues).

• 2 weeks later...

I just rebuilt my cfg file.  When it was untouched it created a torn apart aircraft in the selection window.  I wished I had made it a screenie it was so bizarre, but nothing like what it did to the Bonanza.

I slipped the HIGHMEMFIX tweak back in, and all was well again.

Jesus was not a member of ACES, but he did have contact with at least one member who was, according to certain sources. His bufferpools=0 tweak along with his recommended alternatives to it, as well as the incredible highmemfix cfg code setting could only come from inside the MSFS development team, as these trigger previously unknown parts of the proprietary hardwired FSX code. They could not be just "stumbled upon."

However, his shader changes seem to be more of a result of his own brilliant reverse-engineering experimentation and testing, as evidenced by the original AVSIM threads. As helpful as the shader variations may be to some, they do not seem to work as well for many, if not most others who have tried them. Jesus (Hey-sus) is one of those in this FSX community that has made a real difference to the rest of us that understand and benefited from His work.

Unfortunately, for those who either don't know, or don't care, these things are publicly dismissed with undo prejudice, so the only ones who really do benefit are those who really do:)

Kind regards,

Jesus was not a member of ACES, but he did have contact with at least one member who was, according to certain sources.

What sources? Do you have a link or is it plain hearsay?

My sources are my own and privately held, but you may find out similiar information by merely doing a bit of a review. I kindly suggest you start by rereading the relevant AVSIM threads from the very beginning of the Bufferpools=0 thread and expand it to include the various spin-off topics. There you will find the historical record and validation of origins as to how these ideas were developed, as well as tested and contested by the participants, that if I remember right, may have included you, as well as myself.  Good luck and have fun down memory lane.

Kind regards,

I have lost the plot here a little. The HIGHMEMFIX=1 has made an enormous improvement (20-30%) but the BufferPools=0 did not make any noticeable difference. Is this as it should be or are there other fsx.cfg tweaks that I should be employing? Thanks

What sources? Do you have a link or is it plain hearsay?

Read carefully:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/281538-the-bp0-conclusions/

you'll find one of the 'validating sources' there...

Hey Jesus,

Great to see you here my friend! I have not seen you for awhile so where have you been flying at? What do you think of Microsoft Flight? How are you anyway? I am delighted to see you!

Kind regards,

Stephen my friend! glad to see you too... i've been doing great, lot of work lately :) I do read the forums, but I'm limiting myself to 'lurker' status :) it was a very intense period at Avsim during the 'tweak' days and a lot of heated discussions and problems with some posters as you might remember, lurking is much healtly ;)

As for 'Flight' well.. it came as no surprise, but is good to know they made it official. I believe that they plan to launch it along an 'iTunes/Apple' store kind of marketplace for add-on distribution, which will benefit the end user and FINALLY allow MS to capitalize on some residual income... which is good news for all of us, it's a shame it took them so long to figure it out ;)

Once 'Flight' is released I guess I'll resume tweaking :) there's not much else to do for FSX, it is running beatifully now.. see you around my friend and take care.

Stephen my friend! glad to see you too... i've been doing great, lot of work lately :) I do read the forums, but I'm limiting myself to 'lurker' status :) it was a very intense period at Avsim during the 'tweak' days and a lot of heated discussions and problems with some posters as you might remember, lurking is much healtly ;)

As for 'Flight' well.. it came as no surprise, but is good to know they made it official. I believe that they plan to launch it along an 'iTunes/Apple' store kind of marketplace for add-on distribution, which will benefit the end user and FINALLY allow MS to capitalize on some residual income... which is good news for all of us, it's a shame it took them so long to figure it out ;)

Once 'Flight' is released I guess I'll resume tweaking :) there's not much else to do for FSX, it is running beatifully now.. see you around my friend and take care.

Jesus,

I hope you stay around to become a regular part of the ORBX FTX community. Your work is much appreciated and debated here. As you might have noticed, in this forum there is not the kind of tolerance for negative, argumentative and hostile rancor as there is over at AVSIM and elsewhere. Still, like there, when opinions are expressed, honest disagreements can arise, but typically, it seems that such things are handled in a much more careful manner by all. Quite a difference!

Even though much of your time is spent above 30,000 feet in your 747 and 767, you must like jumping about in a smaller GA from time to time,  if only to keep up your stick and rudder skills. If so, as you know, the ORBX sceneries are a must have.. Also, it gives you an excuse to hang out with some of the best seat of the pants sim pilots there are anywhere, from Honolulu to Helsinki. Speaking of which, we would be thrilled to have you fly with us at the Back Country Prop Club too!

Please take care of yourself.

Kind regards,

Holá, Jesus. Great to see you over here, or down-under here. Have had the pleasure of corresponding with you over at avsim some time ago, the AffinityMask=12 was genious for my previous Q9650. Just upgraded hardware, can´t wait to see what your tweeks can do now  ;)

Bjorn

As you might have noticed, in this forum there is not the kind of tolerance for negative, argumentative and hostile rancor as there is over at AVSIM and elsewhere.

It was quite a ride. I'm glad a lot of people found some benefit to the organized testing we all conducted there. Now all the 'negative' and argumentative posts are a thing of the past...

Take care my friend!

+1 it is running beautifully now.

jja

Thank you very, very much Jesus. Your HIGHMEMFIX=1 tweak has greatly improved my Flight Simming experience. May I also add that it is always wonderful to see one of the "greats" of FS visit us here. I for one will be hanging on your every tweak. I am still not quite sure whether I have tweaked enough, but it is all very good now.  Thank you again.

Thanks to all.. much appreciated guys, like you all I'm now waiting for 'Flight'... not much else to tweak in FSX, just enjoying it. see ya all

[/quote

Did you hear that folks? Now stop picking it, it'll never get better!

Stephen, put down that tweak and step away.  ;D

Archived