FSX: Why does chaning the FOV give such a big FPS drop?

ThrottleUp

Hallo guys  ;D

I have a 3-screen Eyefinity setup running at 1050 X 5040 rez.

I was surprised when I did my first flight on the triple screen system because the panel in the virtual cockpits was right IN MY FACE even at maximum zoom.

Now this isnt news to you gurus on here ;D but its a recent "discovery" by me. Looking in the fsx.cfg I found this:

WideViewAspect=False

I changed it to

WideViewAspect=True

Now I have a wonderful views of the panel in 3 screens...the FOV is just great...but the frames have taken a HUGE hit. Not just with Orbx scenery but default scenery as well. With the value set to FALSE the Posky 777 with VC was giving me about 25-30FPS. With it set to TRUE I now get 10-15FPS.

Is this because more of the outside world is visible with this FOV? Why is the drop this big?

Is this because more of the outside world is visible with this FOV? Why is the drop this big?

It is indeed because of the increased amount of rendering with the wider view. If you enable a frames counter and slowly zoom out using the '-' key, you'll notice that your frames will consistently lower with each decrease in zoom.

It's a tradeoff that we unfortunately have to live with...  :P

Hallo guys  ;D

I have a 3-screen Eyefinity setup running at 1050 X 5040 rez.

I was surprised when I did my first flight on the triple screen system because the panel in the virtual cockpits was right IN MY FACE even at maximum zoom.

Now this isnt news to you gurus on here ;D but its a recent "discovery" by me. Looking in the fsx.cfg I found this:

WideViewAspect=False

I changed it to

WideViewAspect=True

Now I have a wonderful views of the panel in 3 screens...the FOV is just great...but the frames have taken a HUGE hit. Not just with Orbx scenery but default scenery as well. With the value set to FALSE the Posky 777 with VC was giving me about 25-30FPS. With it set to TRUE I now get 10-15FPS.

And from your signature, you seem running your PC without OC.  Moreover, your RAM is only 3G.  If you overclock your CPU to around 4G and add in more RAM, you should get better framerate.

i have a similar issue using the Matrox TH2go.  one thing that seems to help me is by moving my position in the cockpit backward a bit ( cant recall if it is control+ backspace or shift + something or other- please someone help me on thta as i am not at my home computer right now)

anyway once i move my seat back 3 or 4 times i then use the + button to bring the entire view forward a bit to where i was before i moved the seat position.  by doing this the field of vision is made a bit smaller but with the 3 screens you are not really loosing anything in the FOV.  it seems to be a good balance for me and gives me back a couple of frames.

kyle

I tried WideViewAspect=False with my TH2G setup, and that bought me some frames. It´ll render you sitting with your front teeth resting on the glare shield. Moving eyepoint back (not the seat as such) and zooming out to me gives a more realistic FOV, with no warp left and right. But your seat will appear in the picture, and there´s no fun staring into the head rest when you want to look down at a suitable landing spot.

Which makes me think, is there a way to remove seats? Yeah, know I´m pushing it ::)

Bjorn

Which makes me think, is there a way to remove seats?

I have been wondering about this ever since I left 2D cockpits behind and went to VCs. I really hope future developers will give the option to disable the cockpit seats. In fact if the seats in the Posky 777 could be disabled then I could use the FALSE value in the wideviewaspect!! Nothing more annoying than a headrest in your face....I feel they are just pointless in the sim.

Archived