EZCA and TrackIR - first test

Heiko Glatthorn

Guest J van E

An amateur attempt, but i am willing to learn  ;D

Nice vid! Pity though you obviously didn't listen to my advice... ;D ;D ;D If I am not mistaken you are using different zooms for the different views: the difference in zoom is very small, but it is there! I can tell by the hickup you see when switching views: there is a sudden and instant change of zoom, very little, before the view smoothly transits into the other view. If you would have used the exact same view for all views, every transition would have been smooth as silk, unlike as it is now.

That's why I advice to setup a default pilotview with the desired zoom and then use that view as a base for all other views and to NOT change the zoom anymore! If you want to look closer at something, MOVE towards it! I can see you did that (for instance the view that starts at 0.14) but as you can probably see yourself there is a small but (imho ;) annyoing) 'hickup', an instant change of zoom, very little, but nevertheless very clear. It's also very clear (well, for me) at 0.18 and 0.21.

If you would make the same movie but then with all views with the exact same zoom, if would look just more real: those instant changes sort of spoil the idea of really being there.

Hey, I may be nitpicking, but it's just a pity if you don't get the best out of EZCA. ;)

Thanks  :). Well, it's nothing fancy, just plain flying around...

J van E, i thought you might be right and did all the views again while making sure that i don't change the zoom (i believe i did the same previously) and it does exactly the same thing. Some transitions are smooth and some have a small 'step' when the camera starts to move. Not sure, it might have to do with some movement settings, i'll look for when i have more time. This was just a quick and dirty setup.

Ron, not sure - do you have your 'Special effects detail' set to high ? It's located under FSX settings/scenery.

Guest J van E

J van E, i thought you might be right and did all the views again while making sure that i don't change the zoom (i believe i did the same previously) and it does exactly the same thing. Some transitions are smooth and some have a small 'step' when the camera starts to move. Not sure, it might have to do with some movement settings, i'll look for when i have more time. This was just a quick and dirty setup.

Ah, okay. That's odd, though: transitions between views with the same zoom should be perfecty smooth. Did you fiddle around with the movement settings or are they default? (I use default movement settings: never touched them so far.) Does the information at the top right (the FSX red letters) show the same zoom indeed? (I have those messages turned off, but turn them on when setting up new views, mainly to see what zoom I am using.)

BTW Instead of doing all the views again, you also simply might have changed the zoom to the same number for all views.

Ah, okay. That's odd, though: transitions between views with the same zoom should be perfecty smooth. Did you fiddle around with the movement settings or are they default? (I use default movement settings: never touched them so far.) Does the information at the top right (the FSX red letters) show the same zoom indeed? (I have those messages turned off, but turn them on when setting up new views, mainly to see what zoom I am using.)

BTW Instead of doing all the views again, you also simply might have changed the zoom to the same number for all views.

I use the default values stolen from the Maule. The annoying zoom info is a long time gone, but i see if i can add it somehow to the shift+z info lines (not sure if this is possible).

EZCA + TrackIR is truly an epic combination!

It increases the actual feeling of 'being there' ten fold. Definitely worth the investment if you are really into FSX.

Yes, indeed it is !  8)

Guest J van E

Really nice video indeed, you guys are teasing my way too much! I want to buy Track IR5 so bad but don't have the money yet after buying GTX480. Soon... It will be great... Gah!

Sometimes looking forward to something is nicer than actually having it!!! ;)

However, this is not the case with TrackIR and EZCA... You are really missing out on something spectacular!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Seriously though, you can't spend more money than you have, can you? TrackIR actually IS something to look forward too, more importantly, and it will NOT be something that becomes unimportant as soon as you have it (like a LOT of gear and gadgets I have bought during my life...). The things that are still great after buying them, are worth there money. Wish I could get back the money on things I don't really use or need... I probably could stop working and fly all day. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived