Sunvisor down

Rimshot

Thanks guys. The weather was generated by ASE :)

Wow, you may have just sold that program for me.  REX's weather generator never depicts anything like that. 

Does ASE use Simconnect to inject the weather as well?

I have to disagree. I have made many comparisons between the ASE en REX weather engine. Somehow the weather generated by ASE always looked better and more accurate. Fantastic news indeed about that FREE overdrive expansion for REX. Their textures are wonderful :)

I have to disagree. I have made many comparisons between the ASE en REX weather engine. Somehow the weather generated by ASE always looked better and more accurate. Fantastic news indeed about that FREE overdrive expansion for REX. Their textures are wonderful :)

Thanks for the info Rimshot.  A few questions if you will :)

Does ASE have the moving map and (weather aside), does the program itself have much framerate hit?  Does it update weather based on distance like REX or time?

No moving map. Unlike the multifunctional REX it does not have a flightplanner. You can import a flightplan as a base for weather generation and there is ofcourse a map page to display the generated weather. I have never encountered any framerate hit with the program, so no worries there. ASE updates the weather based on time. You can set in the options menu how often you want this done.

REX is not a bad weather generator, but it is only part of a program that does much more, and the building of the weather is a first achievement by the developers. ASE is focused on weather generation (although at some point they also used to supply textures with ASG, still available I believe) and has been in continuous development since the early days of Active Sky that first saw the light of day in 2002! For me the choice is easy; REX or FEX for textures, ASE for the weather :)

Archived