SLI with FSX

jgruschow

I have a new computer arriving this week. I have ordered 2 x 480 Video cards in SLI.

I keep getting told that SLI is no use in FSX.

Is there anyone running an SLI setup? What is your opinion?

My computer is used exclusively for FSX and it's addons.

I'm also getting a hex core cpu and it is being professionly o/clocked to 4.2

Any opinions welcome.

Jack

All i can say is i used to have two 9800GX2 on my old machine running in SLI. i then unplugged one after reading that FSX will not use SLI and to be honest i did not see any difference at all with only one card i still got the same frame rate give or take a few frames i have since read that if you use a big resolution say 1920 two cards can help out a bit with this and also may help the rendering but i can not confirm this.cheers

Iain

Well, All I've read suggests worse performance with SLI. But by All means, do try (you have ordered it). It takes some pioneering once in a while to make leaps in performance. Please let us know how you fare. If it's a no-go, you can always sell the additional card.

Bjorn

So many people misinformed. I have 2 gtx 480 set up in SLI and the cards kick you know what.

SLI does work with FSX and it does increase performance in certain weather condition and aa settings.

The key is BP=0. So much for old technology.  LOL

So many people misinformed. I have 2 gtx 480 set up in SLI and the cards kick you know what.

SLI does work with FSX and it does increase performance in certain weather condition and aa settings.

Thank you.I was getting a bit down after reading the negative replies :D

DJJose, did you try this setup with 3 screens (and the beta nvidia driver that allows for this), and if so what were your findings?

Cheers

Remko

You must be the only person in the history of FSX that has gained anything from SLI.

Would love to see some facts.

Frank

No I'm not!  ;D

If you visit AVSIM and check out the video card forums you will see that I'm not the only one.

The BP=0 tweak and the 257 driver changed the way FSX handles video memory. My cards can handle more, therefore I get better performance. Not all cards are the same. My system was built for FSX and it took some tweaking to get it going.

Are you going to see double the performance? No! But, in bad weather you will appreciate the additional gain.

I don't use 3 monitors yet. That's for the future. This is another reason why I added an additional card. I want to go all the way.

My next investment will be 2 Vertex 2 in RAID 0. It might take a few more months, but I'm almost there.

I have SLI on my Dell XPS Jack, but its only on 2 8800 GTXm's and like Frank I actually lost frames in SLi, so I reverted back to one and have been fine ever since.  On the other side of the coin though, with what DJJose has stated and the advancements between the 8800 series and the new 480's I think you will be fine, or alternatively if you don't see much improvement, talk to Jay about Crossfire, his works like butter as far as I know still to this day.

Ok, to get back to the original question that was asked.

All I'm saying is that when Jack goes out and buys another 800 dollar card and plonks it in his computer and finds that he has (maybe) gained 1 frame per second (after he has tweaked his computer to the enth degree), he may not be too happy with the results.

Frank

Archived