i7 950 bios hardware setting advice

timmo32

hello to everyone,my pc has been overclocked to 3.6gigs just wanted to know if all settings look ok or is there any recommendations from anybody in regards to ram settings and cpu setting,any comments and advice would be great,the pc has had all the tests to make sure its stable.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry for all the images of the bios, ;D please let me know about the memory setting for a 3.6 gigs thanks peoples.

another reason for posting the bios on here is because i get a fsx freeze issue,my clock speed use to be 4gig ,tho the pc passed all the tests for the hardware setting applied to acheive the 4 gig,i have reduced the overclock back to 3.6 gig and have not notice a big performance loss tho in fsx,im new to the overclocking world and these setting were installed by a pc shop,i know the ram speed has reduced back to a low setting and i get texture lag in the game,anyways guys see how we go thanks.

Your ram timings are on auto, change them to manual and enter the recommended timings as specified on the ram

Your CPU temperature and fan control warnings are off, I´d definitely enable those two. You need to set the highest allowable temp. for your cpu, I´d set it to 80 degrees C, that means you get a warning or your pc shuts down if your stress test results in that high temperature, hinting you for a better cooling solution.

And if your cpu cooler should should malfunction and run slower than 500 rpm I´d let the system warn you or preferably shut down to protect your cpu from probable instant overheating.

Set the memory multiplier to reach 1600MHz when your cpu is stable.

I´d disable load line calibration and enter cpu voltage manually for stability, so you need to find out what voltage is best for 4 GHz, as per http://www.anandtech.com/show/2500/17 : Loadline Calibration - [Enabled, Disabled] Setting Enabled will effectively remove any negative feedback in the CPU supply voltage regulation circuit. This means that there will be little to no difference between the CPU supply voltage at idle and full-load. This does not mean however that there will be no offset seen between the idle voltage and the CPU Voltage VID as selected in BIOS. Disabled follows the Intel specification and allows the CPU supply voltage to droop under load as properly designed. We recommend you leave this Disabled and increase CPU Voltage as needed to satisfy the minimum operating voltage needed under load. I´m presuming it applies to your type of processor too.

Bjorn

wat area in the bios would the hyperthreading setting be?

It would be under

Advanced CPU Features and then CPU Multi-Threading set to Disable

Here a Virtual Bios, so you can klick trough it, without haveing to check your own, and reboot everytime

http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-x58a-ud5.php

for other Gigabyte mobo's

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28441/

thanks for your time to reply to my post mate and thanks for the helpful links,if it was your pc would you disable hyperthreading?and would you disable turbo mode setting in the bios,im thinking of setting the overclock back to default settings,the bclk to see wat happens thanks heaps mate :)

thanks for your time to reply to my post mate and thanks for the helpful links,if it was your pc would you disable hyperthreading?and would you disable turbo mode setting in the bios,im thinking of setting the overclock back to default settings,the bclk to see wat happens thanks heaps mate :)

That depens on what the system has to do, other then run FSX.

for FSX i would advise, disable Hyperthreading, and Turbo mode.

yep its just for fsx use only,and to download fsx stuff,is the turbo setting easy to disable?i tried it on the bios link you gave me but it did not have a disable option tho,or inless my eyes were not in focus ::);D thanks in advance mate.

yep its just for fsx use only,and to download fsx stuff,is the turbo setting easy to disable?i tried it on the bios link you gave me but it did not have a disable option tho,or inless my eyes were not in focus ::);D thanks in advance mate.

Ok then, no HT (ever for FSX) and no turbo boost (when in OC why : http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/ )

Go in to your bios and turbo mode would be under  MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.) --> Advanced CPU Features --> Intel® Turbo Boost Techn.  [Enable]

switch it to disable.

(This link : http://www.jzelectronic.de/jz2/html/bios-help-x58a-ud5.php

is just to let you check where to find something it DOESNT change anything on your computer, you have to do that your self.

enter bios etc. Its only for example purposes, where to find what in the bios)

thanks heaps mate have disabled those two now and brought my clock speed back too 3.2 gigs and will test if the game fsx freezes while running rex,the on thing ive seen is that the ram speed has gone to 960 mhz,very low umm,see wat happens thanks for you help mate.

thanks heaps mate have disabled those two now and brought my clock speed back too 3.2 gigs and will test if the game fsx freezes while running rex,the on thing ive seen is that the ram speed has gone to 960 mhz,very low umm,see wat happens thanks for you help mate.

Your welcome. For the Ram speed at 960 Mhz check  your System Memory Multiplier  (SPD) setting

in your opening post this was set to six so you have to change that so it nears the maximum speed of your RAM.

my guess is you went to 3.2 Ghz. by changing BCLK Frequency(Mhz) to 160 Mhz with System Memory Multiplier (SPD) at 6

wich give you 6x160=960Mhz Ram speed. CPU Clock Ratio at 20 then 20x160 =3200 Mhz = 3.2 Ghz

is the above setting the one you use right now?

hello florian455 thanks again for the replys,i disabled hyperthreading,and turbo mode,then to test the pc i down sized the overclock back to 160 that was done via the bclk,thats the only figure i touched or changed in the bios apart from the hypo,and turbo mode,no ram or multiplier settings were touch,my ram speed as you said went to 960 mhz,so i closed and save the settings went into fsx to plan a flight from ymml to new zealand,this time with rex running which causes fsx only to freeze ,the texture loading was slow and my frames dropped a little arround ymml at the 3.2 bois setting which was expected, as i was testing my pc with rex running,anyways about 30 mins into flight fsx froze,ive been on the rex forums for months and tim and all the team are puzzled why this is happenning it mainly when the green rex bar appears saying rex is loading the weather,i have done flights without rex running and the pc has run for hours without issues,all these issues have started happenning since the day the pc was overclocked and it was done by a computer shop and all the tests for hardware was done,so it still froze at a lower clock speed,but then im not sure of the other settings in the bios,thats why i posted pics on here,so the gurus can check it out ;D,anyways when flying without rex it also froze ,then i shut down my pc and did another flight and it was ok.

Hi

I hope you dont mind me butiing in. I noticed that you said FSX mainly freezes when REX shows its green bar on loading the weather. I use REX for the textures but use Active Sky Evolution as the actual weather engine. You use REX once only to choose the tile sets you want to use and from then on Active Sky will load the textures you have chosen. I just thought this might help if it is REX weather engine causing the problem. Have you got the cloud resolution settings to dtx5 in REX as this will also help with loading.

Ken

hello ken all replys for the issue i have are greatly welcomed thanks for your suggestions,dx5  in rex is enabled,and textures are set at there lowest,tim and the team at the rex forum have been very patient and very helpful,this issue has been ongoing for months and months,and im getting convienced that this could maybe be a hardware issue,tho having the computer overclocked by the professional,and all the tests for a stable cpu and the ram have been carried out,wats active sky??and who sells it?thanks for your reply.

Hi Timmo

Active Sky Evoution is a weather program that does not have its own textures as REX does. The weather programing seems a bit more realistic to me, I have heard of quite a few people using both programs in conjunction with each other. The shortcut is http://www2.hifisim.com/node/1044

Posted Image

I hope this helps, I also noticed while looking for the image above that they have a sale on at the moment.

Ken  :)

thanks for the links ken,will consider it maybe in the future,tho i could still get the same freeze up happening with this programe too,but thanks mate,might start picking on my hardware settings if it gets to that tho. ;)

hello florian455 thanks again for the replys,i disabled hyperthreading,and turbo mode,then to test the pc i down sized the overclock back to 160 that was done via the bclk,thats the only figure i touched or changed in the bios apart from the hypo,and turbo mode,no ram or multiplier settings were touch,my ram speed as you said went to 960 mhz,so i closed and save the settings went into fsx to plan a flight from ymml to new zealand,this time with rex running which causes fsx only to freeze ,the texture loading was slow and my frames dropped a little arround ymml at the 3.2 bois setting which was expected, as i was testing my pc with rex running,anyways about 30 mins into flight fsx froze,ive been on the rex forums for months and tim and all the team are puzzled why this is happenning it mainly when the green rex bar appears saying rex is loading the weather,i have done flights without rex running and the pc has run for hours without issues,all these issues have started happenning since the day the pc was overclocked and it was done by a computer shop and all the tests for hardware was done,so it still froze at a lower clock speed,but then im not sure of the other settings in the bios,thats why i posted pics on here,so the gurus can check it out ;D,anyways when flying without rex it also froze ,then i shut down my pc and did another flight and it was ok.

Timmo always make sure ALL the setting are set in bios, not just Base clock.

the slow loading and texture problem can be due to the slow Ram speeds,

You need to check the the settings for SPD multiplie,

now your making your computer underpreform!

for the FSX Rex problem, check the event log on your computer what does it say about the "freeze events"

the event viewer and log events have told me nothin,there has been logs in there and i have posted it on the forums,but they make no sense and yes my computer is under performing,i would love to reset everything back to default ram,cpu,ram timming ect,it froze even without rex running now ??? ???dont know wat to do,but thankyou for your interest mate.

Archived