P3Dv5&v6 PLUS MSFS on same C: drive?

rod55

Getting ready to do more Orbx shopping, when my favourite targets (hopefully soon) become available.

Up to now on recent posts, I've been waffling (sorry) about P3D and MSFS as if they are mutually exclusive. Maybe they are not. I honestly don't know! So I bet you folks will have experience to answer this:

QUESTION: Is it feasible/possible to run MSFS from the same C : Drive, if that same C : Drive also has P3D (V5 &/or V6) installed (but not actively running); and vice versa?

Treating like they are 2 completely different "games", obviously I'm not thinking of running then simultaneously nor linking/bridging them in any way.

My SSD C : Drive has the two P3Ds installed and yet still has over 1TB FREE. Please take it that I have a very good medium-to-high end set up (Win 11, 32GB RAM, RTX 3090, i7-12700)

BUT please assume I'm low tech in me noddle

And I've put this in 'general discussion' because it applies to your different sections below.

Rod

EGBB the lionesses are knockin' in goals

PS don't tell anyone my 8/1 bet Japan to take title

Hi Rod,

Personally I would think having both on the C drive is perfectly acceptable.  However, you may want to create an outside Library on another drive for all your sceneries, both for P3D and MSFS.  That last TB of space will fill of fast on your C drive and you often need space on C just to install other things. (even if they are being installed to a different drive than C).  Just my experience.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks, for taking time to reply to this twit.

Acted straightaway on your advice and found highly reliable instructions left by Nick Cooper on a post, as how to move an Orbx Library (and scenery contents) to another location; in my case D : drive.

Rob, you've saved my C:drive 175 GB !!!

Just goes to show how impressed I am with Orbx, and will keenly remain so for years to come (definitely for P3Dv5 AND v6 products; and after your reassurance, probably for MSFS)

You've given me confidence and that is a much appreciated gift

Rod

EGBB raising  my glass of ale to you, Sir

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a follow-along for you fellow Sim Pilots. Please excuse my waffle, I'll try to edit and get to the chase. YES, MSFS does indeed run perfectly on the same C : drive as my P3Dv5 AND P3Dv6.

Any flight simulator will always be a representation (Nick Cooper's insight) of reality rather than a clone of reality at the time and environmental conditions of that snap-shot. MSFS does a great job, and I am very interested in keeping at it. P3D also does a really satisfying job too e.g. when displaying Orbx region plus excellent airports. I feel greater control with P3D (using mouse and X52 joystick), so I am having more successful, incident-free flights. I will definitely not bin my enjoyable P3D simulators for years to come. Likewise, I will continue to practise and enjoy the more sophisticated  and better visual quality MSFS. 

Still hoping for the full range of Orbx scenery (regions and loads of airports) for the new generation P3Dv6. Said plastic card needs prising from cobwebs and sending Orbx plenty plenty dosh. Another reason to keep with P3D is that I don't think A2A are going to quickly make their classics and warbird fleet available for MSFS. LM's small aircraft are crude, so I'm keen to get my mits on good-lookers for P3Dv6. Lo and behold, Real Air's fantastic Beechcraft Turbine Duke V2 for FSX can be resurrected and runs in P3D V6 (I think only for people who previously bought it, several years ago). Miracles can happen.

Rob Abernathy was absolutely on the ball about memory-saving by file storage (Orbx Libraries) in the D :drive so protecting the 3 growing C : drive simulators.  A consequence of all this is that I have an external back-up E :drive (USB into the PC) of just 1TB which is now bubbling up to the brim. All my PC concerns have been dealt with my accessible Midlands Computers, Telford, who built my super high-end PC.  So, come Monday, they will remotely configure a new 4 TB external back-up dive for my 2 PC drives.  Sorted! 

Happy flying folks and thanks again to Rob Abernathy.

Edited by rod321