Restored Halifax, Mark VII, NA 337

andrew22222

Hi,

I had a couple of Photography jobs on over in Ontario (Canada) and as I was in the area I pre organized with the National Air Force Museum of Canada located near CFB Trenton for access to the restored Halifax, Mark VII, NA 337 cockpit.

This aircraft was of interest to me as it was raised 750ft from the bottom of a lake in Norway and then it took 350,000 hours to restore.

Here's the link to the page on my website. There's six 360 degree images and 5 & 6 are inside the Halifax. A separate tour is available for iPhones, iPads, iPod Touch.

Wasn't room to swing a cat so happy with the results.

>http://www.cicadastudio.com/airforcemuseum

Here's a link to the Museums web page with more details. It's an interesting story.

http://airforcemuseum.ca/en/exhibits/the-story-of-halifax-na337-2p-x-part-1-of-5

Just found out there's a Lancaster in Hamilton, ON. I'll wait for my next trip over there and see if I can make it out and take pictures inside. Always wanted to sit in the seat of a Lancaster  :)

Andrew

Just found out there's a Lancaster in Hamilton, ON. I'll wait for my next trip over there and see if I can make it out and take pictures inside. Always wanted to sit in the seat of a Lancaster  :)

Andrew

Good stuff Andrew! I have the good fortune of living only 20 minutes from the Hamilton airport and the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. Often see the Harvard and the B25 in the air. Occasionally see (and especially hear) the Lancaster floating in the skies. You can book a flight in the Lancaster for $2,000 (lasts about an hour).

"Just found out there's a Lancaster in Hamilton, ON. I'll wait for my next trip over there and see if I can make it out and take pictures inside. Always wanted to sit in the seat of a Lancaster "

Alberta's somewhat closer and if you're there, go to Nanton.  There's a Lancaster in extended restoration.  They'll let you bumble about inside (very narrow walkway between stations).

Simply stunning shots Andrew!!!  I live here in the area and was at the museum for a private function last week.  They opened up the Halifax for the group and we could wander around inside her.  I can't imagine doing 10-12 hour missions in that aircraft.  I really think we have gone soft in the intervening 65+ years.

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Hi Andrew

great pictures.

I have a personal interest in the A/C as my late father-in-law was a navigator with 644 Squadron. In fact, according to his log book which I am custodian of, he crewed in this A/C on 24 Sept 1944. 

644 was a Squadron made up of crews from many Air forces  including the Royal Australia Air force of which my father-in-law was a member.

So it is very special to see your photos.

For those interested in 644 Squadron, Sandy Barr, a pilot and member of the Canadian Air Force has written a comprehensive history on 644 Sqd "through the eyes of a Canadian"

See    www.644squadron.com

Peter

Thanks, I'm glad there's an interest in this aircraft. It's incredible when your stood next to the older aircraft. Try and forget about the task they were actually built to do years ago and instead just admire the craftsmanship. I still can't believe this aircraft was at the bottom of a lake.

I'd never heard of Nanton but after checking the maps online I see it's south of Calgary. Need to get me a photography job on the other side of the Rockies  ;) If not I'll still try for the Hamilton location.

Duke, I bet that was really interesting to have a function next to it, especially after hours.

I checked out the flights Laurie. It appears to be even more than that as you have to buy a membership first. It's a wonderful idea but cash wise I'll settle for taking pictures.

Peter, I'll add that link to my web page. Never been to the site before and it's certainly worth a visit. Just trying to walk through the aircraft to the front was hard enough but imagine having other people in there as well. I guess as a navigator your father-in-law would have been sat at that table in the front?  I really wanted a 360 shot inside at the back tail gun but had just under 3 hours to get to Pearson and catch a flight so had to rush.

Andrew

Archived