Best place to put your Temp folder

Jon Clarke

A couple of years ago I wrote a tip about installing True Earth addons. It related to installing into XP as that is the Sim I am responsible for in regard to Support queries.

In that piece I mentioned the importance of potentially relocating your Temp folder as that is the folder that the initial download goes into and will temporarily start to fill your hard drive. This can cause issues of lack of free space which in turn can cause an unsuccessful installation.

Now we have MSFS and the largest files to download are currently Mesh files as there are no True Earth addons.

When we download we are downloading many, many zipped files in order to save bandwidth. These have to be unzipped in order to install.

You may have super fast broadband which will deal with the actual download, but the Unzipping/Extracting can take quite a while. This is depending on your PC specs but mainly on your disks read/write speed. So, the best solution is to place your Temp folder on the drive that has plenty of space but also consider putting it on to the fastest drive where possible. The folder is emptied at the end of the installation so all free space is recovered. 

You will be surprised how much of a difference in installation time it can make.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2