is it worth updating to the new 257,nvida drivers?

timmo32

hello once again guys and gals ,one question is it worth updating to the new drivers,im still using the 197,drivers,i know new driver updates are allway good,but i dont want any new problems to arise from just a single update,any ideas,feed back ,and advice greatly welcomed,thanks guys.please see my specs i have a evga gtx 480 card.

THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY PHIL,LOOKS LIKE IM GOING TO UPDATE THEN MATE,SHOULD I UNINSTALL THE OLD ONES FIRST?OR RUN DRIVER SWEEP,IM BEEN TOLD YOU CAN INSTALL OVER THE OLD DRIVERS,BUT IF IT WAS ME I WOULD UNINSTALL THE DRIVERS AND INSTALL THE NEW ONES FROM SCATCH WAT DO YOU THINK MATE?THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLY :D

ONE MORE QUESTION IS THERE ANY FAN BUGS WITH THESE DRIVER ,FANS FAILING TO ACTIVATE IT MIGHT OF BEEN MAYBE WITH THE GTX 285 CARDS MAYBE? ,I HEARD THERE WAS?CHEERS

timmo: Follow this;

1. Uninstall Drivers via Contol Panel.

2. Run Driver Sweeper and clean all NVIDIA drivers.

3. Reboot

4. Install new drivers.

@John, I don't think nHancer is compatible with the 200 series drivers until they release an update, but I will check when I get home from work and give you a definite answer. Did you try SimForum Nick's modified Config Panel file? That's what I have been using. ;)

Well the 257 .15 works very nice, I seen maybe 4-5 FPS jump an quite a bit more clarity in the picture. Good enough for me.

I was flying the JS4100 VC into YBBN and I was seeing no lower then 26 FPS! :D Hopefully one day YMML will get those kinda FPS.

Phil, thanks for the info. I'll sit and wait till nhancer and the drivers match up again.  I did try the betas, tried Nick's settings, and a pile of other ones, but couldn't get it close to the visuals and frames I have with the earlier drivers.  Glad to have the info though...saves having to load the new drivers to see if nhancer works or not. :)

thanks for your reply phil,and friends,and tim yes my caps lock was on i was to lazy to turn it off ;D, :P,i will update to the new 257 drivers soon and ill report back wat gains i will get ,cheers.

The new 257.21 driver seems to be little different performance wise from the earlier Beta. I must say though, either because of it, or a placebo effect, the colours rendered seem extraordinary yet realistic. I flew from Concrete and Darrington to Twin Oaks last evening in a magnificent Carenado Bonanza with Bill Womback's Jaguar repaint. 40-50+ FPS bliss.

The new 257.21 driver seems to be little different performance wise from the earlier Beta. I must say though, either because of it, or a placebo effect, the colours rendered seem extraordinary yet realistic. I flew from Concrete and Darrington to Twin Oaks last evening in a magnificent Carenado Bonanza with Bill Womback's Jaguar repaint. 40-50+ FPS bliss.

No placebo effect here I saw the same thing on my GTX 285 soon to be change for the 480....

Phil

I used to do what you do ie re uninstall reinstall but this is on the nvidia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/drivers_faq.html

Q: Do I need to uninstall my older driver first?

A: No. It used to be the case that an uninstall was first required. Today the recommended method is to overinstall the newer driver on top of your older driver. This will allow you to maintain any current NVIDIA Control Panel settings or profiles.

I've now tried this method over the last 3 drivers with no ill effects.

Regards

PeterH

Archived