Anyone using 3 screens to display FSX?

Hi.

I was wondering if anyone was using 3 screens to display FSX?

I finally just got hold of a displayport to DVI converter and have 3 X 24" monitors up and running at 5760 X 1200 on a HD 5870.

Using WideViewAspect=True makes the left and right monitors stretch the image something silly, but setting it to false all 3 screens looks good.

Problem is the zoom appears to be all messed up so everything is 'right in your face'. Pressing the Minus keys will only pull back so far. Any ideas how to make it look realistic? I do have that new EZdock installed but currently turned off as i want to get the default views looking good then tackle another program  ;)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Using WideViewAspect=True makes the left and right monitors stretch the image something silly

The solution to your 'in your face' problem is indeed to set WideViewAspect=True. This does not stretch the display at all, it simply changes the range over which the view can be zoomed. Zooming out further will naturally distort the view out at the extremes. It's like using an extreme wide-angle lens on your camera.

The bottom line is that there's no effective way to display the FSX 3D cockpit view on such an absurdly wide-aspect monitor without making compromises. In practice, however, the extremes tend to be in your peripheral vision and hence work pretty well.

Thanks Mark,

I tried WideViewAspect=True and zoomed in further so the side stretching shows a lot less. It seems to be worse in certain aircraft so perhaps I'll just stay out of those. Quite a few FSX crashes but that's probably down to the PC struggling to display it all. Helicopters appear to be a no go at the moment  :(

Still, it's having the 3 screens with trackir that's got me interested again in the actual flying as anything less just didn't seem to be immersive enough,  but I'm a fussy bugger.

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend.

Or you could bite the bullet and buy a triple head2go and not muck around with any of your settings.

Just fit it and forget it.

I've had it for many years (my original was the analog version on 3 x17" screens) and until something better comes along, it will remain on my system,

Frank

Good point Frank but I've had 3 X 24" monitors for some time now and after looking into the triple head2go max resolution was a little disappointed in the look on the screen. I guess I was one of those that eagerly got a HD 5870 with plans on getting the displayport to DVI converter when it hit the stores. Ended up waiting months and ordered it from the US, after the Canadian Customs got their grubby mitts on it the total cost was $150.

Mind you, triple head2go Digital is $340CA so I shouldn't whinge too much  ;)

My challenge this weekend is to get the thing running nice. If I have to move the sliders to the left then I'll bite that bullet.

Bet you've enjoyed the 3 screens for all that time though. It looks so much better and what with other threads talking about 3d you'd come away from an hours flight totally thrilled (or worn out)

Andrew

TH2Go digital, three screens and TIR is one, if not THE, cornerstone of my simulation. You won´t regret it. Running 5040x1050. You won´t regret it!

Regards

Bjorn

Same for me except I run 3840 x 800.....  I used 5040 x 1050 a bit but didn't see enough visual difference and didn't like the fps drag and the slight right margin distortion on the left screen (a TH2GO bug) when in bezel mgmt mode.  I run locked at 20 FPS with no problem and that is without using usepools=0.  Just couldn't deal with the graphic spikes that show up when usepools=0.

Stiletto2

I am running a Matrox THG Digital @ 4320x900. Wonderful experience. I would highly recommend one. You will find also find alot of games that support higher resulotions as well. But for FSX, a Matrox triplehead system and a TrackIR is a huge imersion factor. And if you want a little more immersion, the EZDock camera system is another great addon. It does require some tinkering to get it setup to your liking, but well worth it. As far as the screen stretching with the wideview=true setting, I am not using it. I have made custom views using the EZDock camera and have noticed that I no longer need it, since you can customise when you view preference is at. Just my .02 cents worth.

Here is a video of the EZDock camera

Just image that video on 3 monitors with TrackIR... Pure bliss.

Skooby

I seem to have got things set up a little better now, and being able to move the main cockpit camera using EZCA certainly makes it easier. With the combination of 3 screens, Trackir and EZCA it would be very much impossible to go back to one screen now.

Oddly enough the best plane for my visual setup is the default FSX 172. Not as eye candy as the rest of my collection but there's no problems with parts of the airplanes frame going invisible because the view is too close. Still a fair few FSX crashes but positive that could be rectified with a newer MB and processor at some point in the future.

Trying my best not to fire up Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising as I won't get any work done at all with that on 3 screens ;)

Guest AS355F

I seem to have got things set up a little better now, and being able to move the main cockpit camera using EZCA certainly makes it easier. With the combination of 3 screens, Trackir and EZCA it would be very much impossible to go back to one screen now.

Oddly enough the best plane for my visual setup is the default FSX 172. Not as eye candy as the rest of my collection but there's no problems with parts of the airplanes frame going invisible because the view is too close. Still a fair few FSX crashes but positive that could be rectified with a newer MB and processor at some point in the future.

Trying my best not to fire up Operation Flashpoint - Dragon Rising as I won't get any work done at all with that on 3 screens ;)

Are you using the SM3.0 mod for the 5870? It fixes all the bad coding and makes the 5870's run as they should. It transformed my FSX experience.

Here's a link if you haven't got it.

http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=283701

Use v1.1 I found some textures  missing/corrupted with V1.

You know what Pete, I didn't even know such a mod was available.

I went to the website and got the latest version and there certainly a difference made somewhere as the frames seem to be more plentiful.

Shader Model 3.0 MOD for Flight Simulator X v1.5 (Performance Edition)

May 20, 2010. By Bojote (Jesus Altuve)

First flight in my favorite area (Orange, NSW) and the frames were approx 22-26, even at dusk. Moving over to Aeropelican was approx 15 frames and previous to that it was about 6 and with stutters.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll try out some more areas later, including PNW.

Andrew

Archived