Forgot to mount, TE Southern California hosed from scenery_ini

NorskRoger

Hi, I run Linux and had to restage my Gentoo installation.

I was about to set up for the Nvidia drivers, Vulkan and nice libraries to stop X-Plane from complaining.

At one of these reboots I had done the unmentionable and forgot to mount the drives regarding the sceneries.

The folders with the symlinks had not been found and on the next boot all seas and roads was gone.

The water bodies were gone from L35, the I405 was pretty vacant - you'll get the idea. I think I'm pretty much done but I haven't thought it through, I've done just what I was told the week I've purchased True Earh Southern California. I'm not sure how to sway the installer to look into it without erasing the lot.

Here's my best attempt to rescue the situation, the .bkp would be the bad one. Is it bad?

Regards, Roger.

scenery_packs.ini scenery_packs.bkp

Sorry about your problems.

I am afraid I do not understand exactly what the issues are due to your use of unfamiliar to me, phrases like " mount", Please clarify as to me to mount a hard drive would be to install it physically into your PC.I  also apologise for knowing nothing at all about Linux and it's operating system. I do however know about Orbx addons in XP:)

i have rearranged your scenery_packs.ini to correct incorrect layering sequences so that should help.

Looking in the scenery_packs I see you have the major addons in there like the large True Earth ones so that is good.

My initial suggestion is that you replace your current scenery_packs with the attached one.

Then open Orbx Central and go to Settings/Help and click on Sync Simulator. See pic below.

That should allow Orbx Central to locate your addons locations.

If there is still a problem with the 2 airports L35 and 140S , which I do not see as installed addons in your scenery_packs then reinstall them.

scenery_packs.ini

Capture.thumb.JPG.3a99e62dfc8648b7a4cac4ce5d211776.JPG

Hello, excuse me for the Linux-y parlor.

The term "mount" would be known by the usual Windows user in that an USB flash drive should been "un-" mounted before removal.

That also goes for My Linux distribution. In order to have my new installation properly set up I would have the motherboard mounted nvme drive sorted, where the "fast" files should go. You'd know about nvme drives that they're insanely fast and also a bit expensive.

So I have four other harddrives of spinning rust, 2X2 TB and 2x3 TB where I would keep my scenery files. My nvme drive just keeps 500 GB and having my scenery files there would save me a whopping 8 seconds. Just my Norway ortho scenery eats 390 GB so I'll drop the sceneries where I'll please.

The X-Plane is kept at a safe place on the nvme and you'll see where this is going. In the rush to have my proper drivers tested I've forgot to "mount" the hard drives in their usual locations. So I've pointed to Orbx installer to have the "libraries" installed outside of the nvme, this achieved by the symlinks, at this time being broken or "no habla" at the time I have test run X-Plane to see if it would be happy with the drivers.

This have happened to me one time in 2018 when the machine was new and I've sworn not to go into that trap again. X-Plane just silently ignores when some files go missing and here I'll go without my scenery.

Sorry I've kept all this away from me, these are all janitorial duties when setting up a fresh system. Thank you for the scenery update, I'll see where it takes me.

Regards, Roger.

I didn't have the L35 airport added extra, there's on which comes with the TE Southern California. The other one was the highway 405 just north of KLAX and I'll like to keep an eye on the traffic. I live in a small Norwegian town and I'll have a bit of a gloat..

I've found the synchronise function and it has worked a treat, I'll get on with testing my Mallorca, New Zealand, Nepal and what-have-you scenery. I'm happy it has worked out.

I'll mount the last 3TB drive and then perhaps I could fit the UK soon.

Regards.

Yes, I will religiously "mount" my spinning hard drives at their relevant points.

In Linux there are no station names. I used to fly FlightGear and had a mount at /usr/local/shared for a new, erm, 8 GB drive. Those were the days.

This time I have all my terabytes mounted like /mnt/c2, there are three programs to rely on this before attempting to run X-Plane. So the flub above wasn't my usual procedure, I was just caught at the installation phase.

Thank you so much and blue skies and good landings to you.

As I've goofed around at Big Bear City in the Sikorsky I've found the issue. I was sure the cool blue lake was out east after RW09 but it's rather out west. After the lake I'll dart downhill after the traffic with various outside views. Not the usual SOP but it's fun.

Regards, Roger.