RAM

chumley

I have just installed Win 7 64 bit OS on an ASUS P6T Motherboard with three 2GB DDR3 RAM sticks in slots 2,4 & 6 as per the User Guide. When I check the system option in the Control Panel it only shows 4 gb installed. Why is it not showing 6gb? It also shows as 4gb when I check Task Manager and yet the System Information for Windows program clearly shows three slots occupied.

Should I be tweaking something in the BIOS?

Thanks

Andy b

I got one of these mobo's for my productivity machine. It's a good unit and will give you some good service. The problem you have is a relatively common one.

If you built the PC or are tech savvy, (make sure you are wearing a grounding strap as ram is pretty expensive) try taking the ram back out of the slots, maybe blow the slots out with air and swapping the ram around in different slots.

It might be that one of the sticks is not all the way in or in some rare cases, you may have a dead stick (but unlikely, it's pretty hardy). You could also try installing one stick at a time and check them individually.

Failing that, there are various software proggys that can check your ram in the slots.

Good luck,

Frank

Pretty sure you'll find that Andy has it right. I only have a P6T Deluxe Manual, but I'm sure the RAM slots are the same, and it says for 6Gb, you should populate A2, B2 and C2 (the orange slots) to take advantage of triple channel.

Not my idea, just what's in the book, but that's how I have mine set as well on my other machine.

Frank

Thanks guys

Late yesterday evening I played around a bit with some overclocking and after reverting to standard and just prior to buzzing off to bed I checked Task Manager and for some inexplicable reason it displayed 6144mb.

Logged in a few moments ago and 4096mb.

Got me stuffed but I suspect there will be some playing around this evening seating and reseating RAM.

"Failing that, there are various software proggys that can check your ram in the slots." Any names?

Andy b

Looks like I'm in business with 6gb ;D

Pulled all the sticks and narrowed it down to A1 slot. Reseated the stick firmly and she booted with the full complement.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Now it's back loading the zillion gbs of ORBX stuff but first the television and AFL match of the day beckoning. Go the EaglesĀ  :o

Andy b

Archived