Migrating from Win 7 32 to Win 7 64

chumley

I did the same thing.  Even tho I didn't save my fsx config file, which is a good idea, I did back up all my other files before making the switch.  I put in all my tweaks after reinstalling everything.  You will love the change.

If it was me, and it was about a year ago... then:

BACKUP

For FSX:

x:/Users/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX

x:/My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files

Plus any other custom files like your enbseries.ini for HDR Mod, custom aircraft.cfg files and panel.cfg files for aircraft. I usually backup my entire Simobject/Airplanes folder.

For Computer:

x:/My Documents (Yes, the entire folder, you may lose a little, a lot, or everything depending on how the install goes... better to be safe than sorry)

Guest AS355F

'Windows Easy Transfer' is an easy way to transfer files and settings and it is all part of Win 7 - make sure you select the files you want to transfer over and above the default settings.

I found Easy Transfer good when it works, unfortunately I had a couple of tries where it failed. Always test it first if you plan to use it. ;)

Windows Backup -> System Image is a far better option although you do need a lot of free HD space, as it's the complete image of all drives and it's not highly compressed. It's also very slow.

From what I've heard Ghost is the best option, I need to get around to buying it.  :)

Archived