SAM library shows up twice in scenery_packs.ini

Maker

Hello, I've recently installed SAM through Orbx Central and I've noticed not one but two SAM_Library entries in my scenery_packs.ini:

SCENERY_PACK C:\X-Plane 11\Resources\plugins\SAM\lib\SAM_Library/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/SAM_Library/

Was it ever intended to be that way or is it the result of some kind of a mistake? I had never installed SAM on my computer prior to this so all entries were made by the Orbx software. My concern is that having the same library load twice could potentially lower the framerate. Thanks for your help!

I think it is a result of changes by the SAM developer as to how SAM is installed.

Check in your Resources/piugins folder for SAM and then check if you have a folder called "libs" in there. if you click on that folder it should then show a folder called SAM Library. If it is in there then test by removing the SAM Library folder that was placed in your Custom Scenery folder.

SAM was only offered by Orbx because it is used to run the jetways at a couple of Orbx airports like EGNM and only the SAM Library is required for that aspect.

I have SAM installed in the plugins folder in Resources and have no entry for SAM in my scenery_packs.

Installing it into Resources was the newer installation method by the SAM developer versus into the Custom Scenery folder which was the previous way.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:33 AM, Jon Clarke said:

I have SAM installed in the plugins folder in Resources and have no entry for SAM in my scenery_packs.

Just checked my scenery_packs.ini again and the entries have now disappeared by themselves. It's really weird how SAM works... Well, as long it works it's all that matters I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

@Maker- I remember some time ago now that when I installed some 3rd party airport scenery, I also installed their own SAM package as well. That was a mistake as it looked like that there was a clash between their SAM software and Orbx's own version of SAM. It caused all sorts of problems at the airport in question. As soon as I deleted the 3rd party SAM software package, that resolved the problems that I was having.

It seems most non-Orbx airport scenery comes with its own version of SAM. I always choose the option of not to install it to avoid any further clashes with SAM that Orbx provides.

16 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

Please note that there is no "Orbx version" as far a s I am aware and only a couple of Orbx airport addons have the requirement for any version of SAM if you want working jetways.

Hi John - in Orbx's Central under 'My Products' there is listed SAM as an entry. Is this not the same for everyone who uses the Orbx Central facility? I assumed it was and that it was automatically loaded (as 'Libraries' is automatically loaded) when anyone installed 'Central'.

Ah ok - I have both those airports installed. I'm tending to shy away from other 'SAM' installations for other 3rd party airports as last time I had problems with what seemed a clash between the Orbx 'SAM' and other 'SAM' additions appearing in the 'ini' file at the same time.

Edited by orbmoke
Addition of punctuation marks.