Is it possible to install TrueEarth North, Central & South on External Drive

Greetings all. 

My desktop died last August so for the past 8 months, I've been flying XPLANE11 on my Alienware 15; which has 2 * 1TB hard drives; one SSD and the other non-SSD but I need the remaining HD for work/studies.

I bought TrueEarth North, Central and South but only installed Central (which includes my home city) because I literally do have have any spare hard drive space for the other two.

I have an "8TB Seagate STEL8000200, Backup Plus Hub, USB 3.0/2.0 External Desktop HDD, with 2x Front USB 3.0 Ports" with about 2TB space and I was curious, if I uninstalled/removed TrueEarth Central from my laptop HD, would it be possible to install TrueEarth North, Central and South on this 8TB external drive and just plug it in via a StarTech multi-USB port powered hub to use it as and when required?

That would free up limited HD space on my laptop for more essential software.

Thanks in advance for you support.

Ab

Yes it is possible and it is what I use for some of my ortho4XP photoscenery..

You will need to create a Library, for example name it Orbx True Earth, on your external drive.

Then open Orbx central and go to settings/libraries. and Create a new library.

Point Orbx central to the location of your new library (Orbx True Earth) and ensure to give it the name fo the Library.

That is it.

Uninstall TEGB addons and when reinstalling Orbx central will show your new library as an option to instyal into. Click on the new library and Orbx central will install it on there.

I would also suggest that you move your Temp folder to the same drive as you have plenty of free space.

How to do that is in this link:

I also attach a copy of the Orbx Central User Guide which outlines in detail how to set up a new library.

Central User Guide.pdf

Look forward to hearing from you. A word of advice. Add one addon and then check if all is OK by running XP and ensuring the scenery is displayed correctly.

Note: if you are reinstalling the TE addons into your existing XP set up then they will not be correctly layered in your scenery_packs.ini. They will probably appear at the very top of the scenery_pack. You need to move them to directly below Global Airports or better still attach your scenery_packs.ini after a successful installation of all the TE addons you are wanting to put into your new external drive's library

Hi Jon,

Quick update and request for additional input before I continue, please.

- TrueEarth GB Central, North and South are now on my 8TB external drive. I had 2TB spare since I use that as a backup drive so still lots of space left.

Question:

1. Under "Settings" > "Downloader", the location of the Temporary Location is still listed "C:\Users\INTERP~1\AppData\Local\Temp\Orbx\temp" and has 27.4GB. Now that I have TrueEarthGB installed on my external drive, I assume I can "Clear" that folder?

2. TerraFlora is still on my laptop's HD. I don't know if you'd want me to remove that from my HD and put it on my external drive as well.

3. Under "Other", there are Libraries and SAM which are also on my HD. But, I assume I keep them where they are.

I haven't started XPLANE11 yet after installing these items but I'd rather get your final input before I do anything else.

Cheers, Ab

image.thumb.png.052cf3a7166cd4574b194b9adb984a24.png

You can in fact place ALL your addons that appear in your Custom Scenery folder onto any disk/library you wish.

1. Yes you can Clear the Temp folder. Have you moved the Temp folder now to your new external drive as well? If so you need to and also then Edit the location of the new Temp folder which would  now be on your external drive.

2. Up to you. You can keep it where it is or move it. Your choice. Personally I would move it.

3. Same response as my answer number 2.

I repeat that all addons that would/do appear in your Custom Scenery folder can be housed on your external drive. Things like the main XP directory files like Resources for example are best left alone.

Archived