Request custom scenery density slider for TE SoCa

To devs of TE,

I own a brand new 5800x - 32GB DDR4 - RTX 3090 - M.2 SSD system and I am unable to maintain sense of flight over your SoCa product.
My settings are medium-low, I have no AI traffic whatsoever.

During testing I came to find that there is very little difference in custom scenery displayed as I moved the Scenery Complexity slider.
The moment I dropped it to sparse and the city skyline disappeared was the moment the sim began to run silky smooth.

I then began to raise my autogen values and found out I was able to reach ridiculous settings without any dip in performance.

Dropping the autogen to nil as was suggested in my previous thread has ZERO effects.

In conclusion, the scenery complexity isn't grained properly and is the cause of the high impact on stutters/ long frames.

The solution is to add a proprietary complexity slider in the Orbx central configuration options, so that settings can be matched to what is set into the sim, or set lower to save on performance.

Thank you.

Can you post a screenshot of where you have poor performance with coords and frame rate showing?  I have an old i7 4790K and 1080 8GB video card and I get reasonable performance throughtout SoCa so there's obviously a problem tat should be fixable.

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

Can you post a screenshot of where you have poor performance with coords and frame rate showing?  I have an old i7 4790K and 1080 8GB video card and I get reasonable performance throughtout SoCa so there's obviously a problem tat should be fixable.

The problem I'm getting is significant stutter / long frames when panning or flying. The framerate is actually not an issue. Its actually somewhat better than with default scenery, and way better than with the old socal.

This is in the GLA area.

That's a sign the CPU is being clogged. SoCal is very susceptible to this being already a high data area. Usually it's a sign that an airport is just coming into the draw distance.  The only fix I know of is to reduce scenery demands, Vector and AI can have a surprisingly large impact, as can the demands of a complex add on aircraft. 

2 hours ago, John Dow said:

That's a sign the CPU is being clogged. SoCal is very susceptible to this being already a high data area. Usually it's a sign that an airport is just coming into the draw distance.  The only fix I know of is to reduce scenery demands, Vector and AI can have a surprisingly large impact, as can the demands of a complex add on aircraft. 

I don't have vector, my settings are medium low, there isn't any AI and this stutter occurs with the default f22 aswell.

You are correct in saying the cpu is being clogged, and I've already pointed out a solution being a more meticulous graining of the scenery complexity in the package.

I have a few areas elsewhere on the globe where most people can only dream of smooth simming, such as fly tampa toronto, dd nyc with both airport packs and the fsdt jfk, dd chicago with the airports and fsdt ord, tokyo city scenery with the notoriously hard on frames technobrain scenery. All of those areas run like milk.

Socal is the only offender. Please add a scenery complexity config. I'm sure the stutters can be eliminated this way, or by allowing us to control how far away those objects get loaded in. Preferably both.

I just did a test flight around the KLAX KBUR area and I can report the following:

After t/o from KLAX heading east, there were a couple of one second pauses about 5 miles from the airport.  Turning back over LA downtown and on to KBUR saw no stuttering or pauses, but some graphics were slow to load.  Continued on west for 10 miles or so then turned down towards KLAX.  As I crossed the last hills, a couple of half to one second pauses.  No problems as I headed  down about a mile off shore until I turned final for KLAX and then it was a series of one to three or four second pauses, especially close to the runway.  I then slewed back out to sea for 5 miles and reduced scenery complexity to sparse so there were essentially no buildings other than autogen and it was just the same.  But apart from that corridor, the sim ran smooth with quite high settings across the board.

Do you have FSUIPC?  If so the autosave function can cause similar pauses and lags.

SoCal is notorious for producing seemingly random and inexplicable pauses and stutters, and from what I've seen in the forums,  few people experience the same results.

The scenery works well for the team and for the testers for well over 99% of the area and the pauses and stutters that happen in small pockets have not been demonstrated to be fixable by the normal slider cures, so it's perhaps something that we have to live with in the P3D environment.  I know you said that the Scenery Complxity slider worked for you but it had no effect for me.  I've experienced apparent cures in the past when setting lower complexity values, only to find that the scenery was just as bad when the scenery was completely refreshed so no traces remained in RAM, which can happen.

I do have autosave, but it only saves every 30 minutes, so it's out of the equation.

Try turning the scenery complexity slider completely off. The reason it shows no effect on your side is very probably because your system is considerably less powerful than mine. You can try to complement it by reducing autogen to nil as well to see if you can get rid of those stutters.

On my end, i must reiterate that with the autogen setting of medium that i have the sim runs very smoothly if i put complexity on sparse or off and i am able to raise it to high levels without experiencing stutter. I can obtain a moderate stutter with all autogen sliders to the right while maintaining complexity off. This makes sense as you said, the cpu is getting clogged with requests.

The catch is that i cannot obtain the same by keeping scenery complexity to any setting other than sparse and reducing autogen to nil. It will still stutter, worse than with full autogen.

Its obvious that this area is very demanding and on top of that this scenery also being demanding, it would be sensible to include a proprietary scenery density configurator.

I really want to enjoy this scenery, and I'm sure many others would too if they could.

9 hours ago, John Dow said:

Archived