55" LED 3D TV converts 2D FSX into 3D FSX

Here's what we picked up last week - http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/3d-products/3d-led-tv/UA55C7000WFXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

Posted Image

55 inches of 3D monitor goodness and it uses a zero-driver 2D->3D system (i.e. it will work with Radeon cards also). Put one of these babies behind your keyboard and you'll be absolutely blown away. You will need to have it at least 800mm to 1m away from your face though, because it will be too large otherwise.

The unit is thinner than our Samsung 30" LCD monitors (LED TVs generate much less heat and are incredibly thin), comes with two active shutter glasses (50 hour battery powered; re-chargeable units also available), and ships with a copy of Aliens Vs. Monsters in 3D Blu-Ray DVD, which is the most amazing 3D video footage I've seen (ever better than Avatar IMAX 3D).

I plugged in a laptop with HDMI 1920x1080 output, ran FSX and loaded up 7S3 Twin Oaks in the Cub. Activated 2D to 3D mode and viola! Beautifully clear 3D with zero FPS loss and with such huge image in front of me the sense of depth was amazing.  For the Aussies here, I got it from JB HiFi for A$3899, which was $600 off RRP (although the sales manager was literally in tears at that price). If you send in your receipt, Samsung will ship you a free 3D Blu-Ray DVD player and an extra 2 pairs of active glasses.

I also tested with an XBOX 360 and PS3 and indeed it turns all 2D games into 3D very effectively. I had Avatar the game on PS3 and if you invoke the side-by-side 3D mode for that game it works in native 3D on the Samsung, which was quite amazing to see.

Finally, it also converts regular broadcast and pay TV into 3D, although it works better when viewing HD TV versus older SD stuff.

I don't know what algorithm Samsung engineers have created, but I am hugely impressed with how it manages to turn 2D content into very acceptable 3D. It's not quite as deep as the nVidia 3D Vision setup, but then again there is no driver-level stuff going on (it's all done by the TV's onboard CPUs), so zero FPS loss.

We are working on a project with Andreas Paschen (Variometer) to author native 3D Blu-Ray videos of all our products, and we'll be using the Samsung UA55C7000 at the Avalon Airshow 2011 next year for our "Orbx 3D Theatre" showcase. We may even release the 3D Blu-Ray showcase as a DVD to purchase off our website.

Yes you do need to wear the 3D glasses the whole time. I don't get eye strain.  I watched the new Blu-Ray Lord of the Rings: Fellowship Of the Ring in 2D>3D mode from start to finish without a break and (apart from looking bloody amazing), I did not feel any fatigue at all.

John, will your 480 drive it, and at what res? My goal was to get 3 x 3d monitors and 2 x 480's to drive them. As far as immersion, simplicity of set up. power consumption, the 55 LED appears to be a good deal.

3D wise, is the Samsung's 3d as good as nvidia's 3d? Very interesting post and glad you are into the cutting edge of technology. Thanks for sharing.

Guest cirrusnature

I watched the demo of Aliens vs Monsters at our local Harvey Norman and that ping pong ball shooting out of the screen made me grin from ear to ear. Wonderful stuff indeed.

John, will your 480 drive it, and at what res? My goal was to get 3 x 3d monitors and 2 x 480's to drive them. As far as immersion, simplicity of set up. power consumption, the 55 LED appears to be a good deal.

3D wise, is the Samsung's 3d as good as nvidia's 3d? Very interesting post and glad you are into the cutting edge of technology. Thanks for sharing.

Sorry to double post. To clarify my statement, to get 3 X regular sized monitors vs the 55" unit. Thus immersion wise, is one 55" more immersive vs 3 x smaller units, both 3d capable? For FSX my guess is the 55" wins w/ track ir. Could the 55" be used if sitting 2 feet away? The 55" 3d got me thinking. Thanks for any replies.

I had the big idea of using our current LCD TV (42" Acer with High Def 1920 x 1080) for flight sim.

It was very disappointing and I hadn't taken into account, the resolution difference on a screen that big.

Quite apart from that, I had to sit so far back, it was impractical and I'd be sacrificing 3 screens for one big one.

The 3D bit sounds great, but until the resolution of these big screens double or triple, it's not for me.

I think there is better technology for FSX just around the corner,

Frank

It just got a whole lot better :)

Nvidia have now announced 3DTV Play, which means you can get the identical 3DVision quality 3D using the Samsung or other HDMI 1.4 3D TVs!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_TV_play.html

So to answer you Q's, you can now use the Samsung as a beautiful 55" monitor and its own active shutter glasses for an amazing field of view (and share the image with other people since their active glasses are so cheap - I have 5 units). I can't wait to try this, but it appears the software is not released yet. I have filled their expression of interest form on their site so hopefully I will get more info soon.

JV wow I got a chance today to check it out at JB hi-fi and they had the monsters 3D thingy on and yeah your right, fan bloody tastic! god I wish I could afford one :)

Hey JV how about doing a video blog showing us FSX in 3D for those of us who have 3D glasses we might be able to see it?

don't know if it would work but might be worth a try. I would love to see ybbn from the cockpit in 3d taxi, takeoff, landing, taxi to gate :)

Guest strider

I really want to play FSX in 3D !! What would be a the better setup, a 3d TV or a 3d Monitors to play FSX on ? Do the monitors have better resolution then the TVs? I have a 30" Dell and FSX looks really nice at 2560x1200 resolution. Not sure if I want to scale down in resolution size. The biggest 3d monitor that I could find is 27" ASUS PG 276 1920 x 1080.

Question about 2D monitors, I have a 32" 1080p Sharp. and with my new computer rebuild (i7 930, GF 480, 5 gig), I want a bigger monitor/TV, what do the experts suggest??  Am looking at a LCD Samsung 1080p, 40".............any better units around??..........Since I will now have to reload all of the programs, FSX, W7 64, can I just instll PNW on the new system while I have it installed but not in use, on the old computer??...........My guess is that it is OK, but just to be safe and not look like I am being a pirate..................Dick Leonard

Hi

I use anaglyph 3d on my pc with a GTX260 and nvidia divers. I have just ordered a Samsung 55 inch 3d tv for the lounge and am as excited as a kid in a free candy store. I will be sneaking the new tv into the computer room to see how it fairs on the pc compared to Nvidias drivers. If you look at Nvidias 3d panel it has a setting for 3d tvs.... another 3 weeks to wait since old Harey Norman cannot get the units in fast enough at the moment.

Ken  ;D ;D

Archived