Florida scenery won't load...X-Plane freezes

BobfromMI

My newly purchased Florida HD scenery causes X-Plane to freeze up.  After 15 minutes it still shows "Scenery loading".  I don't have this problem with S. California, N California, Oregon, Washington, or the Great Britain (South, Central, and North) scenery sets.  The other true earth sets usually load in 3 or 4 minutes.  I have attached the requested files.

Bob

Log.txt scenery_packs.ini

I don't see anything that shouts out as a problem in your Log file, nor your scenery_packs.ini.

I can tell you though that depending where you start a flighjt in TE Florida very much governs how long it will take to load. TE Florida HD is over 200GB in installed size. With other airports within the range scope, plus plugins, other addons, libraries etc the load time can be comparatively long.

I have the SD version which loads quicker and if I start a flight at Tampa it can take over6-7 minutes on a NVME M.2 drive which reads at 3400MB/s

In order to test this I suggest you let it run until it does load or you get an error message. Not being there with you I cannot gauge what is exactly happening but I must check if it is actually freezing or just taking much much longer to load than you are used to.

You could try renaming your Custom Scenery folder to Custom Scenery.BAK and drag and drop the TE Florida files into a newly created Custom Scenery folder with a drag & drop copy of Global Airports and try loading a flight at a less developed location other than one of Florida's major airports. You will then only have the TE Florida loading. make sure that Global Airports and the TE Florida Airports files are above TE Florida in the scenery_packs.ini. Check the load time and see if it takes more that 10 minutes and if it actually loads at all.

Report back.

I tried what you suggested and just let the scenery loading continue until it loaded or crashed.  It did load, but the time was 19 minutes and 27 seconds.  I also have an NVME M-2 SSD drive (2 TB) where X-Plane resides.  The rest of my system is not what I would call a minimalist system (Intel I7-8700K processor, 64GB of RAM, and an Nvidia 1080ti graphics card with 11 GB of video ram).  This loading time may seem normal in the Orbx world, but I think it is excessive.  What this means is that each time I want to fly somewhere in Florida, I need to wait almost 20 minutes for the scenery to load.  I think I'll just write the Orbx Florida scenery purchase off as a bad debt and spend my flight sim time flying in other parts of the world.

@BobfromMI

It is very detailed but why quit? I suggest you do as I do before you quit and uninstall the HD version and install the SD version. It is less of as download, no conversion required from jpg to DDS format for the Ortho tiles, uses much less disk space and loads faster. You get the SD version for free having purchased the HD version.

You won't tell the difference between the 2  when flying over 1800-2000ft. The HD version is ZL 17 and the SD version is L16.

Unless you are flying choppers low to the ground there really is very little difference in visual quality.

Just as a point of reference:

My specs- i7 6700K; GTX 1080, 32GB RAM; Orbx TE Florida HD on a Sata SSD.

Loaded in at KPMP (Pompano) in the Thranda Quest Kodiak (REP version). Loading time was less than 5 minutes from start to finish.

I do use XOrganiser, and only enable the scenery for where I intend to fly (in yesterday's case that was the Caribbean area plus USA Florida, but I'm not convinced that would make much difference since X Plane only loads a limited number of tiles initially. So perhaps something else is leading to the excessively long load times. One thing to check would be any antivirus software - making sure all X plane folders, including any scenery libraries on other drives, are excluded from the scans.

John

Archived