Simjet 737 in Brisbane

Rob Byrne

A few of the Orbx team took the static Simjet 737 simulator in Archerfield , Brisbane for a fly recently.

It was an amazing experience - the full 190 degrees of projection completely fools the mind into perceiving the effects of motion - there were some bouts of motion sickness.

They use FTX scenery and had a Beta of YBBN at the time and of course three uber computers for the uber projectors and more for avionics etc.

The  huge projection screen gives all the peripheral and vertical range of vision to cover your movements in the cockpit and clouds feel big and airports feel lifesize and when the complete horizon line rolls and pitchs - pure majic.

Some basic iphone quality video below. Without any preparation , charts , checklists etc we jumped in the cockpit , slowly floundered through the array of controls ( a little more confronting than a PC screen) and off we went:

Captain Ross Casey rotating out at YBBN

And he lands it manually  as well - with some ordinary assistance for moir as the co-pilot. I'll fly with this man anytime.

A slew past YBBN terminal -  if really felt like it was there in full life size

A slew tour of the YBBN Beta carpark - well because we could

There was one more video with Prof (John) who had to leave us and then suddenly popped up  outside standing on the Tarmac of YBBN at co-pilot level (about the physical height of an Avatar dude) l waving us down - well  I was so immersed I just about shat myself - but thought I should protect the innocent unless of course there is public demand ... ;D

Rob

I went in that Sim the other day!

But didnt get to have a play as the sim guy wasn't there.

I was just getting shown around Flight Trainning Australia by an instructor who we know, it was pretty cool, I got to go inside a Cessna 340 and we started up all the avionics. Then into a smaller low wing trainer, which you start you flight training in.

He gave us a few  price lists and hopefully next year i can start learning how to fly.

Cheers,

Dylan

That was so funny.

Thanx for the preview guys.

I've been wanting to do this since they were at the show last year but never quite got around to it, but the cincher was YBBN.Now I know they have that level of realism, I'll be booking a flight.

Fantastic set of vids.

Hope the guys gave you all some free flights for the promo and the great work you've all done.

Frank

P.S. Have they got a web site?

Nice Vids Rob,

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I think I've done my dash of getting hired by Qantas with that approach ;D

That sure was fun even though the steering mucked up & my seat flew back during the take off run (that happened to me in a Cessna C172 once too, although this didn't have me nearly as worried as the previous one which happened about 100' above the ground!!).

fantastic my dream one day to have the same setup I have been close a few times but wow that's so cool :) I am curious what was the FPS like it looked really smooth but are they using REX? what is the Computer system behind FSX?

Re FPS, can't remember what they were however they were never an issue & flight was smooth throughout the entire flight.

Ross from Simjet wasn't sure what the CPU power was that was running it however I remember him saying they were using multiple computers (one for each of the three projectors plus at least another as a Master).

Here are some shots I took on the day. Rob is seen here in the Captains seat.

One is a photo of Ross Farquharson (Simjet) standing outside the building inside Hanger 3 that houses the Sim.

post-398-130204119264_thumb.jpg

post-398-130204119284_thumb.jpg

post-398-130204119302_thumb.jpg

post-398-13020411932_thumb.jpg

post-398-130204119341_thumb.jpg

post-398-130204119359_thumb.jpg

post-398-130204119378_thumb.jpg

Archived