is this what the trees are supposed to look like? (X-Plane)

cokepepsi

I have  all the west coast HD and the Terra Flora but the trees look bad.  like two pieces of paper forming an X   

is that what its supposed to look like?

or perhaps my settings are not set for terra flora etc.

I was hoping for more 3d trees and not two 2d images placed together.   THANKS!

Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 6.03.26 PM.png

• cokepepsi changed the title to is this what the trees are supposed to look like? (X-Plane)

Trees in XPlane are X shaped. Trees in the True earth addons are already the Terra Flora tree models. The Terra Flora addon is more designed to work with default and scenery tree replacement by model and type being more realistic and should be placed in the scenery-Packs.ini below any TE addon.

A description of what Terra Flora does is in the product description on the Orbx Direct site and also here in this link:

Terra Flora does not replace any trees that form part of a 3rd party airport or scenery addon. Those tree models are the Developers tree models.

I am saying that the True Earth addons already have trees from Terra Flora.

I am also confirming that trees in XPlane are crosses unlike in P3D.

I am also saying that any trees that are part of an addon like trees in an airport scenery are not changed by Terra Flora as they are trees used by the Developer of that addon and can only be changed by the Developer.

There will also be conflicts if you have other forest type addons  like those offered in X-Europe and SFD Global  etc. That is why i mentioned the layering of Terra Flora is important vs those mentioned alternative forests addons otherwise terra flora will be overwritten unless placed higher in the scenery_packs.ini or the forest options of SFD Global and/or X-Europe are disabled.

Terra Flora,as mentioned in the link I gave you, does this:

• It only replaces default trees, it won't update payware products that don't use the default trees
  • Scenery order is important. If someone uses another tree replacement product such as SD global, our product must be higher up in priority
  • It doesn't do seasons
  • It only replaces forest files and not tree objects (sometimes placed at airports)
  • It does nothing to the TE regions, these already have it

In short, it should work great with the default and HD mesh sceneries as long as it's ordered correctly."

I'm still having problems with bad trees in the Florida HD package. Please review screen shots provided.

I've done all of the above, DISABLED anything to do with HD trees in INI file (HD Forests, SFD Forest etc.

This is the TE Florida order in my INI file:

SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_A_US_Florida_Airports/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Global Airports/

SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_A_US_Florida_TE_Custom/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_B_US_Florida_TE_Overlay/
SCENERY_PACK F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_Florida_TE_Orthos/

I've tried everything suggested so far. Any ideas on this continuing issue?

Finally, I did have an unrelated Warning in the Log file:

0:05:59.692 W/SCN: Missing object lib_s/trains/F_18.31.obj from package F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_B_US_Florida_TE_Overlay/roads/; replacing with blank

0:05:59.692 W/SCN: Missing object lib_s/trains/F_18.31.obj from package F:\Orbx\xp11\TrueEarth US Florida HD\Custom Scenery\Orbx_B_US_Florida_TE_Overlay/roads/; replacing with blank

This warning message did NOT represent error to screen but thought you should know

Car_B58_Baron - 2020-12-01 11.27.27.png

Car_B58_Baron - 2020-12-01 11.27.44.png

I admit the trees don't look good on those pics. At what altitude are you at in the pics as the lower you are the less detailed the trees will look as indeed the less detailed the photo aspect of the ground looks.

I am assuming your query is not about Terra Flora but you are piggy backing on this post about the quality of trees in TE Florida HD?I will defer the response to the dev @Tony Wroblewski for additional comment.

Short answer is yes, this is how we have to render trees in XP (and P3D). There is no magic solution, anything other than simple x-shaped billboards for large areas would be unusable in these sims as they simply aren't designed to handle it. Florida is no exception, it's a compromise so that the scenery is actually flyable and still contains dense vegetation. It's a platform limitation and not something that was done on purpose.

X-Plane also has a well-known issue with how it lights tree billboards (they self shadow and glow in one direction). This looks like it won't be fixed for X-Plane 11 and is something we need to wait for a next-gen engine for.

The TE Florida scenery is outstanding!! I even purchased the KEYW airport. Everything looks great other than trees. I may be wrong but it looks like this x-shaped trees only happen on a particular type of tree. Anyway, thanks for your input and quick response!!

• 2 weeks later...

Different sim limitations. XP trees don't look like P3D trees and neither look like MSFS trees. There are limitations per sim I am afraid. Also please note that Terra Flora only replaces the default tree/forest library and offer more tree varieties so that it can place more realistic forests in geographical areas. It does not replace any trees around airports or 3rd party scenery that already has trees in the addon

Archived