Just Installed... FPS dropped from 35_40FPS to 14FPS ... why!!

Nik_TB

Hi

It is a bit disappointing to have such reviews and as a result purchased Orbx Southern UK with Southampton Airport - loaded OK but on running XP11.5 OpenGl and Vulkan. I had been happily running at  35-40fps and now its dropped to 14!! For the life of me I cannot understand why... can you help please?

I'm sure there is a fix simwhere...

Cheers

Nik

Welcome to the forums.

TEGB South is very demanding especially in the London area. I doubt you are getting 14fps everywhere in TEGB South so please expand and let me know where these framerates are happening.

In order to assist more I need your PC specs and also your XP settings and whether you are using Vulkan or just OpenGL in 11.50. Thanks

Also please attach your scenery_packs.ini as an attachment and not a pic of it please.

I have the same problem. Just installed TEGB South. Flew out of Duxford flying south a bit and then SE towards the coast with a frame rate in the 40+ region and it began steadily falling by the time I'd hit Brookman's Park. At Damyns Hall and the Dartford Crossing it had dropped to 3 (must have been that beautifully-rendered bridge). I can send you the log.txt and scenery_packs.ini, if you think it's useful. I'm running on a Mac and have no problems with the Washington State SD scenery. Runs beautifully at around 40-60 fps with the default settings for my device.

Cheers,

Daniel

Welcome to the forums.

Please send me the XO log and your scenery_packs.ini plus tell me your PC specs, XP settings and if you are only seeing the fps drop around the London area. By London area I am talking about the area that is within 30 miles of London City.

As a test, what fps are you seeing  at KLAX which is another high  resource demanding area both with TE SoCal or just default scenery.

Hi

As requested the attached files. My System is  as follows

x64 base - Window 10 Home

Intel i7 3770 3.4 (turbo 4.0)

P8Z77 thunderbolt

16GB Mem

Graphics: GTX1070

X Plane 11.50r3 OpenGL and Vulkan

Plugins> DataRefTool, ASXPC connect,Skunk,xJet,SAM,XPLM,XPUIPC,P Widget,Xsaitek, Navigraph

Scenery> Ortho, x-Europe both excluded with xOrganiser

Aircraft used: King Air 350 Airfoillabs.

Ran a flight from Southampton with Orbx GB Southern and Southampton scenery East along the South Coast then up to Gatwick then west back to Southampton via MID. ILS approach breaking off at 1000 for a circuit to land.

These are the  recorded values from A. Straight ahead of the pilot screen  and B. Down into the cockpit i.e. no scenery

Three graphic scenarios.... 1. OpenGL Visual Effects, Texture and World Obj = High AntiAl = 2xSSAA+FXAA

2. OpenGL Visual Effects, Texture and World Obj = Medium AntiAl = 8x

3. OpenGL Visual Effects, Texture and World Obj = Low AntiAl = Min

Cold and Dark Scenario 1> A. 12fps  B. 17fps

-"-"                                 2> A. 16fps B. 20fps

Take Off                           2> A. 13fps B. 17fps

3000ft S/L                        2> A. 17fps B. 20fps

1500ft East Coast run      2> A. 18fps B. 21fps

1500ft North Gatwick       1> A. 14fps  B. 17fps

On top EGKA                     1> A. 16fps  B. 17fps 

Max Viz, Text, World Obj  !!> A. 11fps  B. 12fps

On Top MID                       2> A. 16fps  B. 18fps

On Top MID                       3> A. 14-18  B. 17-20  Very unstable

EGHI ILS 1500ft                3> A. 17fps

EGHI ILS 1500ft                2> A. 13fps  B. -

1000ft circuit EGHI           1> A. 12fps  B. 14fps

1000ft circuit EGHI           2> A 12fps  B - 

On Grnd/Parked                1> A 11fps  B. 13fps

On Grnd/Parked                1> A. 14fps  B. 17fps

My standard graphics setting without Orbx using x- Europe and Ortho is: Visual = Med,  Texture = High, AnitAl = 2xSSAA+FXAA and world Obj  = Med I get 25 with OpenGL the fps is around 25+ .. with Vulkan it is higher...

At the moment, I've moved the old preference folder out to rebuild a new Preference folder for a clean start, to see if there is anything different... will advise.

Cheers

Nik

scenery_packs.ini Log.txt

I have rearranged your scenery_pack slightly so drop it in to your Custom Scenery folder to replace the existing one. Please note you have a rogue entry at the very bottom of the scenery_pack:

ys/
SCENERY_PACK_DISABLED F:\Ortho4XP\ORTHO\zOrtho4XP_+50-002/

scenery_packs.ini

Looking at your XP Log file indicates you have a lot of other things going on like LUA scripts etc. For example my Log file is 176 KB in size and your is 629 KB. That indicates that your are running much more resource demanding addons, scripts higher demand planes or similar. 

I am not sure that with all those instances runn9ng and being in a high resource demand region like TEGB South, that you have the PC specs to cope.

is there a reason that you are not using Vulkan? You say in the narrative in your £ Three graphics scenarios" that they are all in OpenGL.

The whole idea of Vulkan was to unleash the better fps and performance abilities that were/are stifled by OpenGL.

My performance ox XP 11.50 in Open GL is a lot worse than Open GL in 11,40, hence I only use Vulkan and can fly anywhere including TEGB South with much higher fps than in 11.40. My PC specs are higher than yours but I am just talking relatively speaking.

I can suggest you try using Vulkan with the same XP settings and see if there is a difference. I would use a default XP plane like the Cessna or the Cirrus for a test and also if possible disable all your LUA scripts for the test.

I am concluding that you are running too many additional processes in a high demand area, that your PC specs are finding hard to deal with. This plus the fact that you are not using Vulkan as the default choice is contributing adversely to performance.

It is not the result of a faulty Orbx addon I assure you. 

@D Erickson Some of my above comments may be relevant to you as well., and note that TEGB South is in HD vs your Washington in SD

Thank you Jon. This was very helpful. I have no additional scripts or add ons, like Nik_TB, but I didn't have Metal turned on and, after following the instructions at this XPlane support video to find the optimal settings (here), everything works just fine. All of my planes are purring along at about 30FPS now...In fact, I was able to *increase* my video settings with Metal enabled. Brilliant. Thanks again!

Daniel

Archived