Installation Question

You might experience some scenery generation slow downs, or scenery building,  when flying!!!!  doing it that way.   I have never done it that way I always install all my Orbx  directly to the sim.  My p3dv4.5 folder, at one time was over 900 GIG but I own a lot of Orbx  

Hi John,

You can create external libraries using the feature available in Orbx Central.  I use the library feature, although my libraries are also installed on SSD.  One is on the same SSD as my P3D installation, but still in a separate library, and the other is on my C drive, which is a M.2 drive.  Libraries themselves won't cause any performance degradation, but having your scenery on a HDD instead of a SSD may not be as fast.  There is still some debate about the performance benefits in the sim regarding HDD vs SSD.

It's easy to create a library, just navigate to the "Libraries" section in Orbx Central's settings.

LjRHUHC.jpg

Cheers,

6 hours ago, John Maloney said:

Thanks guys that's very helpful. I'm now thinking it might be better having Orbx and Prepar3d on the HDD as I suspect my SSD is too small for the Orbx stuff. 

Hi John, 

You could probably leave your P3D installation on your SSD, as this is actually recommended for P3DV4.  I just checked my installation, and if you discount addons, the P3DV4 installation only takes (roughly) 40GB of space.  Of course a lot of 3rd party addons install directly in to the simulator, but an increasing amount allow you to choose an external installation path, so you can choose a location on your HDD for 3rd party addons.  As I showed you above, you can easily create a library on your HDD for all your Orbx stuff to install too.  I think there are just one or two products which must be installed to the P3D location itself, such as Global base.

By default a lot of other 3rd party addons wil install to "Documents/Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" which is on your system drive, but you could create an alternative folder on your HDD and point any installer to that new folder.

Cheers,

5 hours ago, John Maloney said:

Thanks Scott that's really useful and I think that's the best bet for me. Can I take it that if items such as Global Base need to be on the SSD they will go there and others will offer the Library option if it's available?

That's right John.  When you have your library or libraries set up, you will be offered the choice to install to a library or to the simulator each time you install a product.  If the product must be installed to the simulator main folder, then Orbx Central will notify you, and will not offer the choice to install to a library.  The pic below should help.

iAxUNZv.jpg

Cheers,

Archived