Create Library - Library Path Change

Fiddler

The Create Library - Library Path Change button does not allow me to change the content of the Library Path field. The Library Path shows a very old library location, and the Change button does not allow me to change that.  Central was updated today.  I have stopped and restarted the Central app several times.  I had deleted the existing libraries in preparation for creating new ones and moving existing scenery folders.  

Also I have a suggestion for an update to your documentation on 'Moving a Library to another location'.  If you are interested in that let me know where to post.  I believe it will provide a bit more clarity to that process and update some of the terminology that is used as part of that.  

Moving a library to another location

Moving a library is painless with Central and can be achieved in a few steps only. 

1. Start Orbx Central and click on the ‘Settings’ icon and then select ‘Libraries’
  2. Find the library you want to move and note the Windows directory/folder that is shown.
  3. Delete the Library by pressing the Delete button. (remember: this doesn’t delete the actual files on your PC, it just deletes the Orbx library reference to that PC directory).
  4. Close Central by right-clicking on the Orbx Central Icon on the Windows Taskbar and selecting “Close Window”, or simply close the Central window by clicking the ‘X’ in the upper right corner of the application window
  5. Create a new and empty Windows folder/directory in your desired new location. 
  6. Start Central again
  7. Open Settings, and then the Libraries page
  8. Press ‘Create New Library’ which will bring up the Create Library window.
  9. For the Library Path click the Change button and then enter the path to the new folder location on your PC, then provide a Library Name then press ‘Save’.  This creates the new Orbx reference that associates the library name to the PC location; it does not create any PC files or folders.
  10. Move the scenery folders from their original root folder into the new library folder location. DO NOT amend the folder structure. This step may take a while depending on your disk speed.

Central will automatically scan the library for installed products, and then configure your simulators appropriately. If you are manually maintaining scenery pack location references in your simulator, then you will need to modify those references to correspond to the new location. 

It would also be helpful to have a document date within your manual so you can figure out if you are using the most current version. 

Hello,

It seems that I can change the library path but if I had deleted the libraries, as you have,

I would also delete the references in Orbx Central, as instructed in the User Guide and

start again with new ones.

Your suggestion:

If you are manually maintaining scenery pack location references in your simulator, then

you will need to modify those references to correspond to the new location. 

is not necessary, Orbx Central will address that when Sync Simulator, Verify files or a new product is installed.

Naturally, if you change the file structure after installing a product, you will cause yourself a problem but at the same time,

in doing so, you will be ignoring the User Guide.

It would also be helpful to have a document date within your manual so you can figure out if you are using the most current version. 

Do you mean in order to check that the manual is up to date?

On 10/1/2020 at 12:50 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

It seems that I can change the library path but if I had deleted the libraries, as you have,

I would also delete the references in Orbx Central, as instructed in the User Guide and

start again with new ones.

Your suggestion:

is not necessary, Orbx Central will address that when Sync Simulator, Verify files or a new product is installed.

Naturally, if you change the file structure after installing a product, you will cause yourself a problem but at the same time,

in doing so, you will be ignoring the User Guide.

Do you mean in order to check that the manual is up to date?

Yes.  For instance if I print the manual or save it somewhere it would be nice to compare the dates to see if I need to refresh.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived