Removing v4

While not quite there yet, I will be getting to the point where I will be removing v4.5 as v5 has become more stable and most add ons have been updated to v5. The plan will be to wipe the SSD that v4 is on and use it for MSFS 2020.

My question is what if any issues have popped up when removing v4 and keeping v5?

I just went through this, so I can give you some heads up if you want.

1st and foremost, if I were you I would properly uninstall as much as you can for V4 through any method you can find, SOME addon things share install/uninstallers. PMDG specifically recommends this. 

Next, expect "some" addons that are compatible and being used in BOTH versions to have to be reinstalled, 3 that I can note that caused my P3Dv5 to crash (after) were F1 GTN Complete, UGCX, and AI Lights Reborn. As a safety precaution I uninstalled each one  (as best as I could) and just reinstalled them. (NOTE: could have been a fluke, but it only takes minutes to do)

Orbx was the easiest...literally no problems at all. Just start at the bottom, and uninstall one by one, it's MUCH faster than you would think.

Active sky and other stuff like that work as normal. (for me anyways)

Good luck!!

I had my v5 crashing after removing v4.5 as well, probably for reasons Rob mentioned. I did the remove generated files thing and all is good after this. Just in case you have problems. 

Take care

Mick

Archived