Orbx-central errors on startup

ajc42

Your Central log file provides us important information, please attach it to your support requests. You can find it at the following locations, or by pressing Control + Shift + L.

• Windows: %APPDATA%/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • macOS: ~/Library/Application Support/Orbx/Central/central.log
  • Linux: ~/.config/Orbx/Central/central.log

You can delete this box/quote once your log is attached

THERE IS NO LOG FILE AS REQUESTED ABOVE

Operating system:  Debian Bullseye

Simulator:  X-Plane

Screenshot:  

Issue:  I can't even get started 

sudo apt-install libc6-dev  - no problem already installed
wget https://web.goog.cdn.orbxdirect.com/software/central/4.1.14-17b6cdce/Orbx-central-4.1.14.AppImage     - no problem download 132853931 bytes

chmod +x Orbx-central-4.1.14.AppImage   - no problem worked  = permissions now 755 owner is me.

./Orbx-central-4.1.14.AppImage 
[124632:0723/150523.698062:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_orbx-cqVGkCi/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

I haven't touched /tmp its the standard debian installation.

Note the directory /tmp/.mount_orbx-cqVGkCi directory does not exist 

permissions on /tmp directory is drwxrwxrwt

As an experiment I tried running this as

sudo ./Orbx-central-4.1.14.AppImage --no-sandbox

This did allow the application to start up, and did open up a window for me to log in.  However, once logged in, it told me it could not find any simulators.

I realised after the experiment above I should have looked in /root/.config/Orbx/Central for the log for that run.  So that is now attached.

I not sure its helpful other than the fact that your servers seem to be saying my purchase was not authorised.

I purchased the True Earth Great Britain South scenery yesterday and my credit card has been charged so I am anxious to get started.  

central.log

Hello,

the log states

2020-07-23T14:27:03.493Z [INFO] [Central::IpcService] - The Orbx Central worker process failed to start. Please check the user guide for troubleshooting advice at http://Orbx.to/central-guide - closed with code null - SIGINT

Please review this topic first.

Your new purchase is safely waiting in your Orbx Direct account.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

the log states

Please review this topic first.

Your new purchase is safely waiting in your Orbx Direct account.

Thanks.

As I said I am running Linux and the only prerequisite for that is libc6-dev - which IS installed (see my original post) as I did of course review that topic.  I have also been through a lot of the other recent posts here - including one that said that the latest release was now 4.1.15, but I have no way of downloading that.

My attempt at running as root was not meant to be a serious attempt and I must admit haven't previously run x-plane as root, nor do I really want to.  I have of course run x-plane as me (alan) and the error message in the first post is what happened when I ran central as me.  It does not even seem to have got past the first hurdle and there is no log file for that..

What am I supposed to do now?

I don't want the bleeding edge if I don't need it. I just want to get my scenery installed.

I was hoping a developer would respond last night, but none seem to and it now seems to be the weekend in Australia.

I presume that means I have to wait another few days, which doesn't make me very happy.  But if opting in the the "Fastline" is something I could try, how do I do that?  I just was poking around in my account, but I couldn't find anything.

Actually it looks like I have found a way to make it work as me! without upgrading

I just added the --no-sandbox flag when starting the app (without sudo) and I have now got to at least  downloading and installing my purchase.  Its done a couple of GB of the 27 or so

I can report that the download worked perfectly, and I've just come back from a flight around London and the M25.  My first in X-plane other than the training school.  I was able to take off from Redhill fly over my house then track back to find the M25, follow the M23 North (were it almost immediately becomes the A23) and then tracked that until I had Battersea Power Station in sight. Down the Thames until the QE2 bridge, then back down the M25 until the A22 - where I tracked down to Godstone station, turning into a downwind leg for Redhill 08R and a successfull landing.

Although I have resolved it, this is still something the developers need to look at, since there is nothing in any instructions that I've been able to find about this --no-sandbox flag.  Its only the error message from my attempt to run it as root that even suggested the such a flag existed and my own curiosity to then maybe try it.

I hope the fact that this thread is now marked as resolved won't prevent that from happening

Archived