Isn't TE NC A Little Too Red?

Hello!

I recently purchased all the NA TE products, and in general have been very impressed. However, Northern California is way too "red", everywhere.

I have attached some images that highlight the issue, one from a late evening flight into KTVL and others from midday. Having spent a lifetime bouncing around Lake Tahoe I can tell you there is no "red" in real life, anywhere. From the images we have Northern California land class (accurate), KTVL airport (also accurate, if a little too much green), and the odd extension of TE NC. I have also noticed these changes in color when transitioning from TE OR to TE NC - there is a definite line where the terrain colors shift from natural to red.

I deleted my shaders when moving to P3DV5 HF2, so that should not be a problem. 

Any ideas what may be going on?

y4m-pIgQeDb5FiIIGv21XP5H6I2bEp2hwGmYCquxy4m7UIo8TXYXSudJodr9i4ogXCO9nGTmzI0QHnQ7y4mbbVOCrPlB94HAsKbbTOxJVgr2jPVqmlP7e5Zhy4m2t7sXHhzSR-ojkDb7WIK0BwIhHSSlvNh6kOEky4m_ETGyqYjHD6AOztC017Yea5OiTZOxUa408pJSy4mNXG-LHq9fH46Mim003fQBimHOsqBvW3EkE93o

I find the same thing, at least north of the Bay area. The two pix below are representative. The first is just northwest of the Orbx Cloverdale airport (O60) and the other just south. In the foreground, the color is accurate and part of the airport scenery; in the distance, you see the redish tint from TE NC. I flew extensively in this area in the 70's and 80's as a flight instructor/pilot examiner and charter pilot, and can vouch for the accuracy of the foregrounds compared to the distance. Also, my monitor is color calibrated monthly with a prosumer level hardware tool from GretagMacbeth, so I know it's spot on.

As for the red tint in the OP's pix, I see it off the nose and left wingtip in #2 compared to the grey of the rocks, in #3 to the right of the road that starts off the spinner, in #4 in the distance to the right front of the aircraft, and in #5 in the distance above the aircraft and I think in #6 a bit of it to the rear of the aircraft.

2020-6-13_20-32-21-383-small.thumb.jpg.5de0861d31b43a49e1c2bdb6fdd4dcb9.jpg

2020-6-13_20-37-4-364-small.thumb.jpg.e37bd8895d21733dd6ac931a96abcc07.jpg

15 hours ago, Pegaso said:

Maybe this will be a problem with your monitor settings (RGB setting) as I cannot find anything red in your screenshots.

Fritz 

Heya Fritz, 

I see the issue both on my flight sim monitor and while viewing the pictures on my "house" computer so by TMR rules the reddish condition exists. Gulfstreamtwo correctly identified the issue using his color-calibrated monitor, so perhaps you have a bit too much green dialed in, Fritz?  :)

The Lake Tahoe region is a good example as it shows the collision of three different regions:

1 - TE NC

2 - KTVL as created by Mischa (IIRC).

3 - Orbx North America, which shows up on the eastern side of the Tahoe basin.

That is what pictures 4 and 6 try to highlight. On the left side of the picture is Orbx North America, on the right is KTVL, and in the middle is the "stub" created from the boundary of TE NC and the overlay of KTVL. Both left and right portions of the picture are color-correct (like I said, I have been bouncing around Lake Tahoe for 50+ years), while the middle is definitely tinted red. 

You can also see this in Gulfstreamtwo's pictures (I also own O60). The airport environment is correct while the distant TE NC shows a pinkish tint. 

Clearly, I need some better pictures. I will also include the seam between TE OR and TE NC. And while I have yet to fly south, I am betting there will be a visible seam where TE NC runs out and Southern California takes over.

John Howell

I have updated pictures with greater clarity from a higher altitude. The problem is worse than I expected, especially at the boundary between TE NC and NA Southern California. All pictures were taken sans weather at 13:00 yesterday.

The first picture highlights the original problem I noted at Lake Tahoe. The differences between Global NA (left), TE NC (middle), and KTVL (right) are obvious.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniAme6m0TpzPaWR6h?e=AcN4ti

The second picture highlights how bad it is, and shows that the reddish tint extended quite a ways into Nevada.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniAgGS6tOfq3wXVYq?e=je9kyp

The third picture shows the seam, looking north, with TE NC on the left and Global NA on the right.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniAeKEBOFkno3yGAs?e=XSjE1P

The fourth picture shows more of the same seam heading north. That is Reno to the right.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniALZQSNVFK3_azhH?e=72kjp6

The fifth picture highlights how KTVL and the surrounding mountains sit in the middle of a sea of pink.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniAWVzg1ZOQGaka35?e=gkPxM1

Picture six, well, what can one say - how did this obvious demarcation pass QA?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqNq84wIcidniAQ8q7I-B-FNHGI6?e=2EKAMu

Northern California (and Oregon) are no doubt too red. First, I use a hardware (Spyder-) color calibrated monitor, so monitor issues can be excluded. Second, colors in TE GB look natural. Third, colors in the landclass-based North American regions look proper, too (all with the same HDR settings, of course). Fourth, Google Earth doesn't show the red tint either. Fifth, the San Franciso Area has been my test bed in numerous simulators besides Prepar3d - including a very recent one -, sometimes bare bone, sometimes with addons, and it's never been that red. And finally, I've been there in person once and I don't recall it to look that red either.

Unfortunately, I doubt we can do much about it. Modifying the base aerial image would have a lot of consequences as I guess many other elements would have to be color-adapted, too. Effectively this would be a new development from ground up which is out of question. I suppose Southern California will come with the same red tint to keep consistence, if not more towards the South.

I thhink we will have to live with it as is. I will, as I basically like that whole True Earth concept, nonetheless I find these colors distracting.

Kind regards, Michael

43 minutes ago, pmb said:

Northern California (and Oregon) are no doubt too red. First, I use a hardware (Spyder-) color calibrated monitor, so monitor issues can be excluded. Second, colors in TE GB look natural. Third, colors in the landclass-based North American regions look proper, too (all with the same HDR settings, of course). Fourth, Google Earth doesn't show the red tint either. Fifth, the San Franciso Area has been my test bed in numerous simulators besides Prepar3d - including a very recent one -, sometimes bare bone, sometimes with addons, and it's never been that red. And finally, I've been there in person once and I don't recall it to look that red either.

Unfortunately, I doubt we can do much about it. Modifying the base aerial image would have a lot of consequences as I guess many other elements would have to be color-adapted, too. Effectively this would be a new development from ground up which is out of question. I suppose Southern California will come with the same red tint to keep consistence, if not more towards the South.

I thhink we will have to live with it as is. I will, as I basically like that whole True Earth concept, nonetheless I find these colors distracting.

Kind regards, Michael

Heya Michael, 

I hope you are wrong about the difficulty to change, but since nobody from Orbx has commented yet it is hard to tell. I cannot image they purchased an ortho set that is so poorly color calibrated, especially since they KNOW what the region is supposed to look like.

I am a bit surprised that nobody else has noticed!

Archived