Extra folder of JPGs created after install/update

neilw

I had just moved my library to another HD and when resolving symbolic link issues, tried to reinstall GB South. Then I also did the upgrade plus purchased and installed Key West. But just now in looking at my Orbx Library folder, I see that there is a new folder named "From S Textures - JPEGs". It's filled with 11,883 jpg files (26+GB). Is this correct, a mistake, and can this be trashed? 

Thanks.

MacOS, XP 11.4

The number of JPGs seems very close to the number mentioned by Nick in his thread on install problems for TE GB South. Makes me wonder if Orbx Central (newest version) did not do a delete of the folder with the JPGs once it was through with the conversion process???

6 hours ago, neilw said:

I had just moved my library to another HD and when resolving symbolic link issues, tried to reinstall GB South. Then I also did the upgrade plus purchased and installed Key West. But just now in looking at my Orbx Library folder, I see that there is a new folder named "From S Textures - JPEGs". It's filled with 11,883 jpg files (26+GB). Is this correct, a mistake, and can this be trashed? 

Thanks.

MacOS, XP 11.4

I need to be careful here because it is territory I am unsure about. Please attach both your XP Log file and your Orbx Central log file.

The XP log is in your XP directory and your Orbx central log is in Orbx Central/settings/help.

@Nick Cooper Hi Nick. Any comment or assistance please

Attached.

In reading the central log file, it mainly refers to yesterdays purchase and install of Key West, which was after I had the issue the day before where I reinstalled GB South and then did the update. The folder of JPGs looks definitely to be UK and not Florida (having lived in both places), which is what makes me think it is a result of the GB S reinstall or upgrade. Sample JPG attached.

central.log Log.txt

a6c0x10010x17.JPG

10 minutes ago, neilw said:

Is your new TEGB South addon working OK from its new location?

If so then the folder full of jpgs is probably redundant.

You could move that folder out of the library but keep it on the same HD. If TEGB South works fine then I think you can ditch the jpgs folder.

I don't think XP would be working with jpgs anyway as it required dds format for imagery.

All indicating this jpgs folder i not required.

Yes, yesterday I did a lot of flying in GB S. Tried the new heliport in London! Fun! Also around London to check for any improvements, then moved to Norwich for some heli practice. All worked fine. Had also flown in Key West earlier to try the new airport, plus my usual flying around San Diego and So Cal. All seems to work fine.

I think you are right in that it is a remnant of the install or update. I searched for the file name of the first extra JPG from that extra folder to see if it was also within the xp11 library and found that name as a dds, an M.ter and also still as a JPG within the TE GB S/Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/textures folder.

That does also raise the question as to whether those JPGs should still be in the textures folder following the install/conversion??? While not highly experienced, I had a couple months ago done a JPG to DDS conversion for some orthos and recall that for that scenery the JPG's were not supposed to remain. 

That said, in looking at my NoCal and FL installs, I do see both JPGs and DDS remaining in their orthos/textures folders (directories). Is that correct that the JPGs stay there after install?

27 minutes ago, neilw said:

Yes, yesterday I did a lot of flying in GB S. Tried the new heliport in London! Fun! Also around London to check for any improvements, then moved to Norwich for some heli practice. All worked fine. Had also flown in Key West earlier to try the new airport, plus my usual flying around San Diego and So Cal. All seems to work fine.

I think you are right in that it is a remnant of the install or update. I searched for the file name of the first extra JPG from that extra folder to see if it was also within the xp11 library and found that name as a dds, an M.ter and also still as a JPG within the TE GB S/Custom Scenery/Orbx_C_South_TrueEarth_Orthos/textures folder.

That does also raise the question as to whether those JPGs should still be in the textures folder following the install/conversion??? While not highly experienced, I had a couple months ago done a JPG to DDS conversion for some orthos and recall that for that scenery the JPG's were not supposed to remain. 

That said, in looking at my NoCal and FL installs, I do see both JPGs and DDS remaining in their orthos/textures folders (directories). Is that correct that the JPGs stay there after install?

JPG files should not be there after the conversion. I assume you have the HD versions of Florida and NorCal. The conversion process is exactly as you say, it converts the jpgs to dds. You will also have png files.

I don't have the HD versions as I use the SD one's so I would not have any jpgs anyway as the SD versions ship as dds already.

I would ditch the other folder of jpgs you spoke about. 

The Florida one is SD but GB S and both Californias are HD. The Florida orthos/textures has no JPGs, only DDS and PNG as I would expect. But GB S, SoCal and NoCal each have JPGs in the orthos/textures directories.

So am I correct that I can and should delete the JPGs from the orthos/textures folders for those scenery packs? It appears that the installer is not deleting them properly maybe???

9 hours ago, neilw said:

The Florida one is SD but GB S and both Californias are HD. The Florida orthos/textures has no JPGs, only DDS and PNG as I would expect. But GB S, SoCal and NoCal each have JPGs in the orthos/textures directories.

So am I correct that I can and should delete the JPGs from the orthos/textures folders for those scenery packs? It appears that the installer is not deleting them properly maybe???

I am going to defer you to @Mitchell Williamson of the Orbx Central team as I don't want to make an erroneous judgement. My logic says that if yourTEGB South and NorCal and Florida are all working OK then the jpgs are 1. Rendant,2 shouldn't be there.

I hope Mitchell can give a definitive answer and advise why you have jpgs at all.

Mitchell, the users Orbx Central log is in his 4th post

I have gone ahead and removed the JPGs from the orthos/textures directory. So far it does not seem to have caused an issue in my testing of SoCal So. Will continue to test the other TE packs. Saves a MASSIVE amount of HD space, so hopefully don't need the JPGs (including the strange folder mentioned in the initial post).

8 hours ago, neilw said:

I have gone ahead and removed the JPGs from the orthos/textures directory. So far it does not seem to have caused an issue in my testing of SoCal So. Will continue to test the other TE packs. Saves a MASSIVE amount of HD space, so hopefully don't need the JPGs (including the strange folder mentioned in the initial post).

Sorry about the lack of response since my post yesterday.

I knew it would not be harmful to delete that additional folder with jpgs in it but I didn't want to mess anything up for you as a new download is quite extensive in time etc.

Anyway I am glad you took the plunge:lol:

I haven't trashed them yet, just moved them out of the library (just in case). I flew Cardiff yesterday and all looked fine there and around that area as well, so likely there is a bug in Orbx Central on Mac that is not deleting the JPGs after install, as well as having created that strange extra folder with duplicates of those JPGs from the reinstall of GB South. With the appearance of that extra folder, it appears that Central tried to move the JPGs for possible removal, but all it did was make duplicates and not remove either the original JPGs nor the new folder with the copies.

Based on this, there may be a lot of Mac users who have a lot of extra space taken up with the unneeded JPGs.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived