Orbx Central 4.1.9 STILL fails to download SoCal

After following your instructions and downloading v 4.1.9, I had another go at downloading SoCal HD. I started around 10-1100 on Thursday morning and finally gave it up around 23:30 that night. I set the download going in the morning and checked on it as the day went on. It downloaded okay until the final section where it is finalising and clearing up. At that point it just hung for ages (no I didn't time it). So I did the usual stop Central and restart it, at which point it went completely back to the beginning and started the download again!!!!! (Can you not include something like the "verify files" option so it can check where it has got to and not start at the beginning each time?) I sat through a second download until once again it reached the final finalising and clearing up section. It hung up again.

To try and nudge the software into action, I switched to FSX and downloaded some updates it had queued. Once I swtiched back to the XP 11 page the SoCal link was back to the "INSTALL" option. It had no record of downloading the region. There is no verify files button so I can't even check on what it has downloaded.
I checked the SoCal folders under Custom Scenery and I noticed that not all of the .jpgs had been converted to .DDS. (I believe that is what is meant to happen, isn't it? I could be wrong.) But as everything seemed to be there I tried to run SoCal in X-plane and immediately got a message about missing files.

After wasting 14 hours today while your download software let me down again, not to mention the three days I wasted over the weekend, I expect you to sort this mess out.

Why not make the manual download available and then we might at least have a chance of using the software that we paid for.

Operating system:  Windows 10 64 bit

Simulator:  X-Plane 11.41

Screenshot:  

Issue:  Orbx Central 4.1.9 STILL fails to download SoCal

ORBX central 3.log

17 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi

Please see the below topic, and note that 99.9% of these issues are caused by not having enough free hard drive space in the appropriate locations, making a manual download of no use anyway.

The only trouble with that theory is that I have plenty of space (see images). I have my temp folder on the D:\ drive and the Custom Scenery folder on the E:\ drive. I have had to untick the "check disk space before installing" as it looks at the C:\ drive (where X-Plane is installed) and says that there isn't enough space to install BUT overlooks the fact that I have a symbolic link to the E:\ drive for the Custom Scenery folder.

Now, you may say that this is the problem but you have to bear in mind that using this system I have installed Florida, Washington state, Oregon state and NoCal, so why doesn't it work now? This is why I keep asking you for the manual download as I have enough space - your software for some reason doesn't seem to be understanding the symbolic link - but with a manual download I could sort it all out for myself. I don't understand why you don't do it as you supply one as an alternative for every other region I own.

Alternately, is there a command or a small .exe program that will run the conversion program as that seems to be the final hurdle that it is failing at?

File Explorer.jpg

Central Screenshot.jpg

Hi

5 hours ago, Rover25 said:

Alternately, is there a command or a small .exe program that will run the conversion program as that seems to be the final hurdle that it is failing at?

Please have a look at the below topic, I believe there is a conversion tool at the bottom of it.

I downloaded Convert.CMD quoted in the topic, copied it into E:\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos\textures (which is where all the unconverted .jpgs are) ran the prog and got this error message on the CMD screen:

E:\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos\textures>"C:\Users\HEATHROW\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral\v3.3.4.5\texconv.exe" -m 13 -timing -nogpu -f BC1_UNORM -y *.JPG
The system cannot find the path specified.
Done!

E:\Custom Scenery\Orbx_C_US_SoCal_TE_Orthos\textures>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

I checked and do not have that path on my machine. There is a path to an Orbx Central folder and I tried running it from there but got the same message. Besides, even running it from somewhere else, the internal instructions to use a particular path would still be wrong. This is starting to get above my paygrade when it comes to rewriting the installation software so ... back to you guys. Have fun.

I upgraded Central to 4.1.10. This time it did check to see what files I already had installed instead of starting from the beginning (I see you took my advice) and it only downloaded 10Gb instead of the full 50GB. But .... once again ... once it gets to the extraction and convert stage it just hangs up. I kept checking in Task Manager and there was 0% action on the CPU and no activity on the drive that it was installing to. Tried the old trick of pausing the action inside Central and restarting it but that had no effect. I gave up after 30 minutes and took this screenshot.

ORBX 4.1.10 hangup.jpg

Today, the 21st, I finally got a full download and installation of SoCal. Of course there were several hundred files that didn't convert correctly so I ran "verifiy files"" and it corrected them. I ran it again just to make sure and it told me that all was okay.

Then I ran X-plane from Los Angles airport and the first message I got was ... (see below) so it wasn't properly installed at all, so why does it tell me that it is? I purchased this on the 8th May , it is now the 21st and I STILL cannot use it. For the love of God when will you sort this mess out?

The update to Orbx library downloaded and installed fine but it seems that Central is incapable of dealing with such large downloads as SoCal. Perhaps you could partition it into smaller segments? I don't know, that's your department but please find a solution.

1964856870_XplaneafterSoCalinstall21May.thumb.jpg.e594ce1bc6fd25ca4f74b15d1070476c.jpg

central 21 May.log

Hallejulah! Praise the Lord! I finally got SoCal working on my machine.

Even though Central said it was installed and passed the "verify files" check, it still wouldn't work on X-Plane. So I uninstalled it in Central and then physically removed any trace of SoCal on the PC. Then I re-installed it - not where I would like it to be, on the 6 TB external drive -  but on the 1 Tb internal drive. (I stopped installing scenery to the 1 TB drive for reasons of space but it seems your software insists on putting it there.) Frankly, at this stage of the game I didn't care where it installed - even the cupboard under the sink would have been acceptable.

So now X-Plane recognises it and it will display it. So you can log this as solved by customer.

To be honest, I would buy your airports again as they are good but I would have to think long and hard before buying any more of your regions, just too much trouble installing them.

Rover25

Archived