Effects of Icelandic eruption

jaje

I am in Budapest.  Was due to fly out an hour ago.  Looks like earliest flight (for which I have seats ;-) will be Tuesday.  I have hotel rooms ( have to move from where I am now Sunday) so I am comfortable.  Not a bad way to get stuck.  This is a wonderful city.

MikeJ.

Although we are only on the outermost fringes of it, my wife had to clean it off the car today. ;)  It was covered in a very thin film of it.

I've been flying into the reported dusty areas of England with REX but in FSX real world weather updated every 15 minutes and I'm amazed.  In fact this has occurred during an astonishing period of really beautiful weather in this Country of wall to wall sunshine and only the occasional cloud but FSX RWW has interpreted this phenomenon perfectly.  At the altitudes for the dust cloud mentioned on TV the sky darkens a little and this fine grey mist floats toward and around you and its somehow obviously not cloud.   

It not only looks identical to that reported but as soon as you lose height back you are with blue skies and sunny weather!  The only things it doesn't do but does in real life is coat the 'plane's windscreen and clog up the engines!  Ah, the beauty of simulation.  None of the discomfort but much of the experience! ;D

John

PS Just heard on the news; due to the the dust moving so slowly, virtually no jet passenger aircraft will be flying in this part of Europe until earliest Wednesday!  Rain would help because not enough of it is falling to the ground.  Goodness knows where most of it will all end up.  I just hope the Icelanders who are not getting any don't want it all back! ;D

This is not just affecting Europe. US and Asian ports especially BKK, SIN & HKG are being affected with a backlog of pax trying to get into Europe. I feel sorry for those trying travelling within Europe. I am about to head off to JFK to catch the QF108 to SYD. Heres hoping I dont walk into a jog jam.

Given the choice I'd rather be stuck on the ground than at 30,000ft with engines chocking with ash.

JFK is actually quiet. The pandimonium I expected hasnt eventuated. Maybe airlines are getting to pax early enough.

P.S. The BA business class lounge aint half bad - has quite a tuscan resort feel to it.  :)

I am in Budapest waiting a flight back to Oregon.  Searching for news I found this on the KLM website.  I would work for the CEO anytime!!!

KLM test flight passes off without problem

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines carried out a test flight this evening between about 19.45 and 21:00 hours CEST in Netherlands airspace using a Boeing 737-800. The flight was carried out to establish whether air quality in the atmosphere meets the requirements for safe flight. No problems were encountered during the flight.

The aircraft was transferred to a hangar on landing where it underwent a thorough inspection. The results have been reported to the Transport and Water Management Inspectorate. The Inspectorate will take the decision on whether flight operations are possible.

KLM President & CEO, Peter Hartman, said: "At first glance there is no reason to suspect that anything is amiss. We observed no irregularities either during the flight or during the initial inspection on the ground. If the results of the technical inspection confirm this impression, we are ready to start by returning seven of our aircraft to Amsterdam from Düsseldorf. We hope to receive permission as soon as possible after that to start up our operation and to transport our passengers to their destinations." KLM Executive Vice-President Operations, Ype de Haan, was also on board the flight with Peter Hartman as an observer.

The aircraft flew to 41,000 feet (altitude of approximately 13 kilometres), which is the maximum altitude for this type of aircraft. KLM expects to receive the final results of the technical inspection tomorrow morning

that's one aircraft - one test flight. There have been positioning flights elswhere with several airliners, but I believe these precautions are justified. Anyway, a balance between economics and common sense willl usually prevail.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived