new graphics card

hunter

my current system is the intel 2 quad 2.4 with a geforce 8800 GTX.0 graphics card.  I have been looking at buying the 9800 GX2 card.  Will I see improved fill rates and framerates in scenery around Melbourne etc. I know that processor power is the way to go, but for now I would like to start off buying a new graphics card. Am I wasting my money?

a new CPU will be my next step, as I think I'm going to need a new motherboard if I do go that course. I currently have a gigabyte 965P-DS3P, not sure if it could handle the latest CPU,s

So for now I would like to go the graphics card option, but will it get rid of problems like when you go to outside view, looking at other aircraft, it takes a few secs for the textures to fill in, also will it get rid of the black boxes when you first fly into the airports.

What I have read of in the specs of the 9800 GX2 is that it's 3 times faster at fillrate specs.

P.S just put my advance order in for Brisbane,

You do NOT want the 9800 GX2...it sucks when it comes to FSX, as FSX does not like video cards with two GPU's on them, nor does it like SLI. Instead, go with a 260 GTX, 280 GTX or 285 GTX as money allows.

hey bud i have  a 9800gx black edition its factory overclocked at 700mhz its a good card ill sell it to you for $100 Aus

i bought a new card gtx285 3 months ago ,so theres nothing wrong with it  ;) the 285 is a better card obviosly,i suppose it depends how you fly?Hubs/Bush

I highly reckomend this card but it is very true that FSX is a CPU hog.Let me know either way at grantpitman@iinet.net.au

cheers mat g

thanks all for the advice, I listened hard and decided to take the option of a new CPU. Went down yesterday to my PC shop and placed an order to get the I7 Extreme.  As I thoght, I will need a new motherboard and new memory chips

I have two 9800 GX2 in my machine and the two do not improve anything at all i get the same frame rates as using just one card a mistake i made two years ago in thinking FSX would use them both it does not, as a card the 9800 GX2 is quite dated now and not cracked up to the hype when it was released but saying that i get good millage from it my next card when money allows would be the all time favourite 285 GTX. But in hindsight would not buy anything simular again.

cheers

Iain

I have seen a lot written recently about graphics cards and various processors but at the end of the day they doesn't mean squat if you have NOT done your homework and researched what works with what.

I have personally seen a nVidia 9800 GTX+ out perform a GTX285 simply because of the way it was configured and the other hardware around it.

NEVER let you FSX PC building be swayed by one particular thing like CPU or GPU but start the build from the HD whether it be 10000 Velociraptor in RAID0 or a Pair of SSD's each step in the chain NEEDS to be successively better than the previous link.

Memory needs to be compatable with the I/O controller's speed, Other components need to be matched with the FSB speed and so on. 

I've decided to purchase the Core i7 980X/3.33ghz/6.4GT QPI/12mb cashe

6 cores

motherboard GA-X58A-UD5  X58, 6DDR3, PICE, RAID, 2GBLAN, SATA3, USB3.0, 3FW, ATX

ram

Corsair Ultimate Dominator, CMP6GX3M3A1600C7 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB)

PC-12800 (1600MHz) XMSP DDR3 For X58 MB/i7 Core, 

For now I'll stay with the geforce 8800 GTX.0 graphics card, and see how it goes. Last option then would be to goto the GTX285

Thanks for all your help guys, it's much appreciated.

Only big problem now is explaining the upgrade to the wife

Have package delivered to work ...

Sneak in under cover of darkness.

I think you have made the right decision ... there are some favourable reports about the new series of Nvidia 4xx cards ... but I think it is too early to be sure.

The 485 is the card I am waiting for .....

Hi Hunter,

You have virtually gone the way I have (see under Hardware, new rig from Sorptec).

The CPU is quite expensive, but if we are going to spend the kind of money that we do spend on our hobby, you want to be happy with your flying experience. To use anything less, the hobby becomes frustrating, and you might lose interest.

I must be lucky; I have a wife who understands my passion with anything to do with flight. Using a flight sim keeps her happy in the knowledge that if I crash, I won't get killed. Don't worry; I'm still always trying to get aloft in the real thing whenever I can, but at my age I have now come to the realization that to get my real wings will never happen :'(

As my wife tells friends and family; "He doesn't drink or smoke..... I'll let him spend his money on flight simming".

Hope your wife is as understanding?

Cheers

Hank

Archived