Fix for pixelated edges (Nvidia)

Hi,

I found a fix for the first issue Ed stated on the known issues post pinned in this section:

"Pixelated edges around trees and buildings, against clouds or background terrain, when Enhanced Atmospherics is active (note that LM note this feature as "Beta" and therefore still being improved upon)"

I don´t know if this has been already identified as solution but just to support everybody I will just share it. This seems to be related to the images transparency, and therefore can be fixed by forcing Supersample Antialias on Nvidia control panel. You will need to keep your ingame antialias active for the setting to be able to override it. This should fix the clouds, trees and objects reflections edges on water as well. Please check it and feel free to comment if it works for you too. I recall the earlier versions of P3D had a similar issue with the clouds and it was fixed with later patches.

See the attachments:

- Original image shows the effect on the plane´s tail as soon as a clear texture such as snow on the mountains is on the background

- Fixed image is the result after forcing supersample antialias in the Nvidia setting

You can set it to 2x, 4x or 8x as you prefer to get better quality. I did it globally for the testing but you can also force this setting for P3D.exe only in the Nvidia control panel.

Original.thumb.jpg.457a33b7f82cf2fc7646fa5a8d709912.jpg

Cheers

Fixed.jpg

NVIDIA.jpg

I have seen it reduces the effect, but still persists on some cases with the clouds. Enabling FXAA also helps, but not eliminates it completely. But at least it helps for the terrain and water cases.

Something is wrong with the ingame Antialias...

Cheers

1 minute ago, geloxo said:

I have seen it reduces the effect, but still persists on some cases with the clouds. Enabling FXAA also helps, but not eliminates it completely. Something is wrong with the ingame Antialias...

Cheers

Okay, it did not work for me. Still plenty of pixelation and I tried all the way up to 8x supersampling transperancy in the Nvidia Control panel. 

Oh well, it was worth a shot :) 

Thing is getting even more bizarre… I tried the ancient Sparse Grid Supersampling fix for P3Dv3 via Nvidia Inspector and it works when you load a flight which was saved as paused (as seen on the attached pic).  And as soon as your unpause it the pixelated effect appears again :wacko::lol: Well, let LM fix that. I don´t want to spend more time with this.

Cheers

Fixed.jpg

Thanks Noels. The problem is known to be caused by the atmospherics. Point to me was to know if we could keep that activated (as lighting is quite nice with it) and get rid of the artifacts caused by it too. Aparently not, until that is fixed.

Cheers

Archived