Settings Issue for Northern Calif?

isfun2fly

Hello Jon - Thank you for responding... My apologies for not getting back more quickly to you - I'm a school teacher and have had a few rough days with answering e-mails, having Zoom meetings and the like... To your question... the indicated area is in Yosemite National Park just down the valley from the big Dome Rock (perhaps "Half-Dome Rock")... I don't think this is the same as the bug report you listed above... My thought was that I might have a setting wrong rather than it being a bug...but I don't know... Scott :)

It's not something in your settings, this is the classic "stretched ortho textures on a mountain problem".. This is easily explained because aerial photography is from a top-down view of the world and not the side of the mountain, so when it's draped on a 3D mesh, the side of the mountain (which may only be very small on the imagery) is stretched out along the mesh and depending on the slope can cause big distortion.... it's also especially visible on steep cliffs as well

Unfortunately it's a very hard fix. We can't just photoshop the orthos better because it would still be the same problem, and the only way is to actually 3D model the mountain and create a unique texture for it (Similar to what Frank Dainese does with his mountain scenery addons for X-Plane)

Archived