Default order in custom scenery

Phil0671

Hi,

i´m just curious to know if there is a default example of how should be ordered the Orbx file in the custom scenery folder?

Knowing that with an AREA pack comes (let´s take as example florida) 4 folders

Orbx_A_US_Florida_Airports

Orbx_A_US_Florida_TE_Custom

Orbx_B_US_Florida_TE_Overlay

Orbx_C_US_Florida_TE_Orthos

And for the AIRPORT comes 2 folders:

Orbx_A_KEYW_KeyWestIntl

Orbx_B_KEYW_KeyWestIntl_Overlay

What i´ve understoood from AVSIM forum HERE is that in the scenery _pack.ini the order will be this one:

AIRPORTS

OBJECTS

TERRAIN

But like you can see we have folders named "overlays on both parts, so i´m a bit confused at this point.

Thanks for your replies.

Best rule of thumb is that Orbx addons with A,B,C etc files should be grouped together. If they are airport addons (Orbx) they should be placed above Global Airports, if they are True Earth addons they should be placed directly below Global Airports.

The KEYW example shows both files are Alpha prefaced with A and B so should be installed above Global Airports in the A/B sequence.

The TE Florida is slightly different in that it comes with an airport file. The TE Florida airports should go above Global Airports, and the 3 A/B/C scenery folders under Global Airports

5 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Best rule of thumb is that Orbx addons with A,B,C etc files should be grouped together. If they are airport addons (Orbx) they should be placed above Global Airports, if they are True Earth addons they should be placed directly below Global Airports.

The KEYW example shows both files are Alpha prefaced with A and B so should be installed above Global Airports in the A/B sequence.

The TE Florida is slightly different in that it comes with an airport file. The TE Florida airports should go above Global Airports, and the 3 A/B/C scenery folders under Global Airports

It can´t be more clear ;)

Thank you .

I used the wrong phrase. I meant that they are alphabetically prefixed. That is they have an A and a B in the file name to indicate the required sequencing.

Your layering sequence in your picture is wrong. I think you are maybe not understanding that my reference to files with A, B & C etc are referring to Orbx addon file names only and not a general statement. You also appear to be adding your own prefix lettering like OO for airports. Unless you are 100% confident and consistent in doing that correctly then you will cause layering issues, For example you appear to be renaming your airports with OO but have not done the same to the Aerosoft airports. The Aearosoft airports are now not correctly layered in your picture.

Please attach, not a pic, your scenery_packs.ini and I will  happily arrange correctly for you. If is do rearrange you scenery_packs.ini you will also need to remove all the prefixes like OO etc from the main addon folders in your Custom Scenery, otherwise XP will be reading those files as OO etc and that will screw up the new.ini.

11 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

I used the wrong phrase. I meant that they are alphabetically prefixed. That is they have an A and a B in the file name to indicate the required sequencing.

Your layering sequence in your picture is wrong. I think you are maybe not understanding that my reference to files with A, B & C etc are referring to Orbx addon file names only and not a general statement. You also appear to be adding your own prefix lettering like OO for airports. Unless you are 100% confident and consistent in doing that correctly then you will cause layering issues, For example you appear to be renaming your airports with OO but have not done the same to the Aerosoft airports. The Aearosoft airports are now not correctly layered in your picture.

Please attach, not a pic, your scenery_packs.ini and I will  happily arrange correctly for you. If is do rearrange you scenery_packs.ini you will also need to remove all the prefixes like OO etc from the main addon folders in your Custom Scenery, otherwise XP will be reading those files as OO etc and that will screw up the new.ini.

In my order scenery i refer to the guide tutorial on AVSIM doing the way it shows on the picture. Is that wrong? (i´m new on X-Plane)

tWRzpjF.png

Please note I have removed ALL the additional letters you added your addon names. Please make sure you do the same with the folder names in Custom Scenery. Make sure the folder names are exactly as I have them named in the scenery_packs.ini

For example,your folder name now for 00EGKK Gatwick should be renamed EGKK Gatwick without the OO.

Just got your Avsim pic. Yes that is correct. It also shows that your scenery pack is therefore incorrect. Please don't dwell on it as I will relayer it correctly, then you can compare the Avsim pic with the layering I have done. Please DON'T put this new scenery_packs.ini into your Custom Scenery folder until you have renamed all the folders that need renaming.

Here you are:

scenery_packs.ini

9 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Please note I have removed ALL the additional letters you added your addon names. Please make sure you do the same with the folder names in Custom Scenery. Make sure the folder names are exactly as I have them named in the scenery_packs.ini

For example,your folder name now for 00EGKK Gatwick should be renamed EGKK Gatwick without the OO.

Just got your Avsim pic. Yes that is correct. It also shows that your scenery pack is therefore incorrect. Please don't dwell on it as I will relayer it correctly, then you can compare the Avsim pic with the layering I have done. Please DON'T put this new scenery_packs.ini into your Custom Scenery folder until you have renamed all the folders that need renaming.

Here you are:

scenery_packs.ini 2.42 kB · 0 downloads

1000 Thanks for you time and your help ;)

I do that and come back to let you know....

10 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Here you are:

scenery_packs.ini 2.42 kB · 0 downloads

Just one more question. Why folders can´t be renamed , like i´ve done for example in 3 groups 00 / 01 / 02 that classify 00 AIRPORT / 01 OBJECT / 02 TERRAIN ?

I though doing this way and deleting the scenery_pack.ini every time i add something new in the folder it will load it by alphebic order soo 00 on top 01 in second position 02 at the bottom

Because there are different prefixes used by some companies and you need to make sure you correctly label each individual folder. A PITA if you ask me, but you are welcome obviously to do what you wish. For example you didn't stick with that logic when you didn't rename the Aerosoft airports, and they ended up below Global Airports when they should be above Global Airports. The Avsim pick is not quite accurate in it's detail. It should start at the top with 3rd party freeware and payware airports and then another layer named Global Airports.

What I do is similar to your idea but actual prefix with a name. For example every non Orbx airport, i.e. 3rd party freeware airports from the XP.org site, I name as Airport- like in  Airport-EBBR Brussels etc. I also name all no Orbx libraries as Library- like in Library-Mister X_library.

ALL other files I leave the names as original names. Aerosoft airports that come with XP don't need a rename because they begin their folder titles with Aerosoft so it is already an A

9 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

Because there are different prefixes used by some companies and you need to make sure you correctly label each individual folder. A PITA if you ask me, but you are welcome obviously to do what you wish. For example you didn't stick with that logic when you didn't rename the Aerosoft airports, and they ended up below Global Airports when they should be above Global Airports. The Avsim pick is not quite accurate in it's detail. It should start at the top with 3rd party freeware and payware airports and then another layer named Global Airports.

What I do is similar to your idea but actual prefix with a name. For example every non Orbx airport, i.e. 3rd party freeware airports from the XP.org site, I name as Airport- like in  Airport-EBBR Brussels etc. I also name all no Orbx libraries as Library- like in Library-Mister X_library.

ALL other files I leave the names as original names. Aerosoft airports that come with XP don't need a rename because they begin their folder titles with Aerosoft so it is already an A

Okay.......I´ve learned a lot today ;)

One more time thank you ;)

15 minutes ago, Jon Clarke said:

So to make sure i understand the "X-Plane order scenery" doing your way by renaming as you say, every time you add new content you don´t delete your old scenery_pack.ini but you edit it , ordering it the way you want?

This way it will load as you have edited the .INI and no more by alphebic order ? Correct?

When you install an addon in XP it will automatically go to the top of the scenery pack layer. I am talking now of freeware addons and most payware (NOT Orbx addons)

Orbx addons are installed via the Orbx Central programme and therefore will layer the addon correctly if you have ticked the option to do so in the Orbx Central/settings/configuration option. See pic.

So no I never delete my scenery_packs. I always install a new addon and then run XP and exit without creating a flight, I then open the scenery_packs.ini and check that the new addon is correctly layered. If you install an airport there is really no need to check the ini because it will be at the top of the layering anyway because that is what XP does, it puts new addons at the top.

If it is an orth4xp scenery it will also go to the top which is wrong so I would open the scenery pack and cut and paste the new ortho4xp to it's correct layering, and save the change. 

2 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

When you install an addon in XP it will automatically go to the top of the scenery pack layer. I am talking now of freeware addons and most payware (NOT Orbx addons)

Orbx addons are installed via the Orbx Central programme and therefore will layer the addon correctly if you have ticked the option to do so in the Orbx Central/settings/configuration option. See pic.

So no I never delete my scenery_packs. I always install a new addon and then run XP and exit without creating a flight, I then open the scenery_packs.ini and check that the new addon is correctly layered. If you install an airport there is really no need to check the ini because it will be at the top of the layering anyway because that is what XP does, it puts new addons at the top.

If it is an orth4xp scenery it will also go to the top which is wrong so I would open the scenery pack and cut and paste the new ortho4xp to it's correct layering, and save the change. 

Understood Maestro ;)

Archived