AU Gold - Redcliffe (YRED)

Brilliant.

I think it's amazing how all you guys each do an amazing job of a piece of the project and then combine it all, and it's done for the love of doing it. If you guys were paid what your worth we could never afford it.

I'd just like to say how much I appreciate all the effort put in by so many people, congratulations to all of you

cheers

Great, Mango. Extra congrats for the static aircraft. Makes all the difference: AU Blue airfields seem mostly to have been abandoned. Here's hoping  your super YRED is an indicator of better things to come in Gold...

Sorry, Taikgunner

More of the same shit on the way - there'll be a list so you can avoid them...

Airfields with barely a plane on them, almost-invisible runways, lumps and bumps, livestock, etc.

Have you ever been to an ALA?  Some of the ones I've been to, you can wait hours and not see a single movement.  I'm sure some would see weeks between arrivals.  At many, the Google Earth pics show no aircraft on the ground at all.

My techniques will improve slightly as time goes by but, Christ!

Oh, Mango - love the look of YRED from the screenies: looks a really worthy successor to the VOZ YRED and I can't wait to fly it - Congratulations!

Looking absolutely fabulous! 

Most of the ALA's around this area are only used on weekends or by the farmers that own them.  You are correct that you can wait days or weeks even for someone else to land on the one you are at.  I guess not everyone wants to go to the same places that we end up at.  Some of them only get significant traffic on a single weekend every year when they have a fly-in.  The airfields that are included with FSX by default are pretty much the more active ones (at least in Australia) so they have more traffic.  But remember Australia is a very large country with only 20 million residents and far fewer airframes per head of population than the mighty US.  So even on a busy day some of the regional airfields get only one or two planes landing.  We have a local ALA that gets an average of 43 landings a year and they are mainly on weekends from the local parachuting club.  Only time they get more than 5 aircraft in a weekend is when the local Aeroclub has a competition day.

IMHO what makes it great to fly in Australia in real life is the freedom that you get in the air.  Not much traffic except around the majors so you can do and go where ever you like!  And once out of the major corridors there are not many restrictions to airspace to worry about.

Just a mild criticism. I have seen a lot of airfields in my life, but never have I seen one with so many identical buildings and colours. I know you are limited by available librarys, so why not try designing some yourself.

If you care Jack - YOU design 'em! (BTW, I posted your charts this arvo - see you later on TS)

We will get a few more to choose from as time goes on - anyone who likes making hangars more than they like making fields?  Even if you like photographing airport buildings so we have some raw materials...

:) Thanks for your nice comments everybody.

I tried to stay as close as possible with the available hangars. At this point i want to say thanks to all the creators of this beautiful buildings, static planes and other objects. Well, maybe i try it one day myself, but for now i am happy that i am able use all those necessary tools - a big thanks again to everybody who gave me those many valuable tips and tricks.

Except tree placement and road connection YRED is ready to go. Here is one more pic - winter season (the planes on the parking ramp are AI, not static)

post-433-130203882456_thumb.jpg

I can get a few shots of the hangars and sheds here at Rockhampton Airport as well if you like.  Speaking of which, is anyone planning on doing up Rocky (YBRK)?  I lack the talent, knowledge and skill to do it myself, but I could help out a lot  with source materials if needed.

looks smashing mango

also Jack: i spent a whole 12 months of my life at school on 3d studio max, constructing a tap that included basic animations, but no texturing.

3D modeling is one of the most time consuming tasks that i have ever attempted.

i don't even have the courage to consider constructing a hangar with texturing

Actually the modeling is the easy part. Editing textures to clean up photos, fixing perspective, removing trees, shadows, cars, people - then creating efficient texture sheets in DDS format that result in good FPS - and finally placing the textures onto your model .... that my friends, is the *real* work involved in creating models that look good :)  Of course, you then also need to create LODs on the models to make it frame friendly. 

The magic behind good modeling is placing the textures on a low polygon model without hundreds of surfaces, and letting the textures create the illusion of shadows, beams, gutters and 3D effects to the model.

One example: the terminal road ramp for our YMML Melbourne project took a whole day to create textures for. The cleanup process was a nightmare, with about 60-70 cars on the ramp at the time the photo was taken, plus hidden areas under rooflines which had to be synthesised by hand.

Looks awesome Mango, very realistic and spot on :)

Any word on a dev for Caboolture (YCAB) in Gold? YRED and YCAB are local to me, so flying out of YRED is going to be an absolute treat when it gets released ;)

nice Mango! (and all the new guys helping develop)

I wish I had the know-how/ patience to try my hand at this kind of stuff but I honestly don't.(and wouldn't know where to start)

I'll just keep trying my best being online tour guy for now.

Keep up the tremendous work!

Dave

Archived