Slow texture loading with OpenLC

Hi everyone, yesterday I decided to switch from UTX to Orbx Vector and OpenLC Europe (I was already using Global Base). It looks amazing as I expected but I have a probelm: textures load really slowly, so when I fly low (takeoff/landing phase) with complex jets like PMDG and Aerosoft, the terrain looks quite blurry. I tried everything: deleting cfg file, rebuilding scenery cache, lowering settings, disabling traffic etc... I'm running Vector with almost every option disabled from the config panel. It's really frustrating also because I didn't have this problem when using UTX which is both for landclass and vector. Can someone help me?

These are my PC specs

i3-7350K 4.2Ghz

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

8 GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit

Thank you in advance

Federico

21 hours ago, fedear said:

Hi everyone, yesterday I decided to switch from UTX to Orbx Vector and OpenLC Europe (I was already using Global Base). It looks amazing as I expected but I have a probelm: textures load really slowly, so when I fly low (takeoff/landing phase) with complex jets like PMDG and Aerosoft, the terrain looks quite blurry. I tried everything: deleting cfg file, rebuilding scenery cache, lowering settings, disabling traffic etc... I'm running Vector with almost every option disabled from the config panel. It's really frustrating also because I didn't have this problem when using UTX which is both for landclass and vector. Can someone help me?

These are my PC specs

i3-7350K 4.2Ghz

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

8 GB RAM

Windows 10 64bit

Thank you in advance

Federico

Edit: I spent all day trying to solve this, without success... It's quite frustrating

Hello Federico,

what happens if you use a default aircraft like the Baron or Maule ?

PMDG aircraft are quite resource hungry, and a jet will be moving faster, low down more autogen being called.

With only 8GB of ram and 4GB video graphics, you are asking a lot of your machine.

I personally would go back to basics and then work up slowly, until an acceptable level was found :)

Thanks for replying!

With a default aircraft seems like there isn't any problem.. The thing that bothers me is that even though I haven't got the most powerful pc ever, with UTX I've never had this kind of problem, and now that I've seen how good openLC looks, it would be difficult for me to go back ahah

Is there any specific setting that I can lower in my settings/cfg to help me with this?

17 minutes ago, fedear said:

Is there any specific setting that I can lower in my settings/cfg to help me with this?

I cannot specify any particular settings to start from, but possibly all at halfway would be a good starting point.

Shadow settings are known to be hungry so keep them down and possibly off, autogen settings low to start with and gradually increase.

It just means experimenting until you find that sweet spot :unsure:

22 minutes ago, Smudger said:

I cannot specify any particular settings to start from, but possibly all at halfway would be a good starting point.

Shadow settings are known to be hungry so keep them down and possibly off, autogen settings low to start with and gradually increase.

It just means experimenting until you find that sweet spot :unsure:

I'll try, thanks! Is my pc that bad? I actually thought it was quite good to run fsx when I bought it a few years back!

My FSX is the same here also. 

It's very unusual to see the opposite for FSX, When loaded at a gate at any airports large or small, it's normal to how my sim to perform. Everything looks good. Once I'm up in the air and claiming to FL30 then my sims starts to get little bad FPS and the scenery gets very pixelated and takes forever to load in. So I'm flying at FL35 for 3 hours flight with nice good looking skies and clouds, scenery is so bad that I tend to look in the cockpit, Moving cameras around can make my aircraft all black and takes time to load. For some reasons it takes allot of time to load. Anyway, as I'm getting near to my departure about 5km out and between 2K and 5K the scenery and everything around me loads in and the scenery (Orbx) looks darn good. Once on ground everything looks normal and aircraft camera movement no problems loading in.

16 hours ago, fedear said:

thanks! Is my pc that bad?

No, it's not that bad, 15 yrs ago when FSX came out it would have been top of the range.

It will still do that now with the original FSX, but time has moved on, and the Orbx scenery, HD aircraft etc have enticed us all to want more, bigger and better.

We can only achieve a certain amount with the equipment we have got and the best level is what we have to accept, experimentation finds that level.

You like the heavies and flying high, the default 747 Jumbo will not pose a problem compared to a PMDG aircraft, but not the eye candy. :wacko:

5 hours ago, Smudger said:

No, it's not that bad, 15 yrs ago when FSX came out it would have been top of the range.

It will still do that now with the original FSX, but time has moved on, and the Orbx scenery, HD aircraft etc have enticed us all to want more, bigger and better.

We can only achieve a certain amount with the equipment we have got and the best level is what we have to accept, experimentation finds that level.

You like the heavies and flying high, the default 747 Jumbo will not pose a problem compared to a PMDG aircraft, but not the eye candy. :wacko:

I almost solved the problem by lowering the road traffic and the "Scenery complexity" slider which I set to "Normal".. Will I loose anything important regarding what is shown or not shown with this setting?

3 minutes ago, Smudger said:

No you will not, at 30000feet POI's are not needed, also your Autogen density and Special effects sliders to normal will help.

Autogen is already to normal, I'll put special effects too.

Many thanks for your help!:lol:

Archived